The police in North America called the police in the UK who went to her parents' house to give them this incomprehensible and shocking news. My friend flew out to be with her parents yesterday and they are all flying to North America later this week. Neither her nor her parents, nor, it would appear, her brother's friends in North America had noticed any sign of him being depressed or knew about him having any sort of problem. It is completely out of the blue.
I researched the internet yesterday for what family members of a suicide victim go through. I found it to be strikingly similar to what parents of a stillborn baby go through.
Shock. Guilt. Incomprehension. Denial. Sadness. Anger. Disconnection. Social stigma.
The following words are copied directly from an online pamphlet I found for families of suicide victims:
- You may “backslide” from time to time. You might have a few days in a row where you feel better and then find your sadness return suddenly—perhaps even years later.
- You will encounter painful reminders unexpectedly.
- Friends and relatives may not offer the support you need. You will truly learn who your friends are during this crisis.
- People may make insensitive remarks. Suicide is generally misunderstood, and people will feel inept at offering you comfort.
- Your fear of people’s judgment may haunt you needlessly.
- Others may tire of talking about it long before you do.
- You may feel bad about feeling good.
- Holidays, birthdays, and the anniversary of the suicide are often difficult.
- New milestones may bring feelings of guilt.
My forced condolence training came in useful. I have called my friend, sent flowers and a card to her and her family and, after doing some research on Amazon, sent her a book for families who lose a loved one to suicide. I will continue to call my friend as I know that even if I say she can call me anytime, she may not have the self-confidence or energy to actually do it. I will ask her about her brother (whom I did not know) and about what happened. I will listen instead of offering meaningless advice. I will visit her as soon as she comes back.
I hope that his soul will find peace in another place.




3 comments:
I am sorry for your friend and her family....it must be very shocking, especially when there were no signs. I am sure you will be a great support to her, now that you (unfortunatly) know what to do... I also hope her brother is at peace now...
I am sorry for this added loss in your life. I am both glad and sorry that you know so well what the right things to do are. Your friend will treasure what you do for her.
I too suffered the suicide of a very close friend. In fact, I am the person who discovered her body. The "condolence" experience was very strange. Nobody knew what to say to me. Some people sent flowers. My mother flew across the country just to keep me company. But for the most part, people in my life expected me to get over it in just a few days and "move on."
I think you are being a very good friend by making the effort to remind her that you are there for her. Hopefully she will accept your help.
Post a Comment