Aaargh - just typed a post and Blogger lost it.
Thanks for the comments on my post yesterday. For some reason, I want to write more about my mother.
My mother is a great mother. She and my father brought my brother and I up in a country in which they were immigrants. It's not easy to do that when you come from a culture of extended families, where mothers help each other through motherhood. If you haven't been brought up in an extended family, you would probably find the lack of intimacy in one difficult to cope with. If you have, and you end up living in the typical nuclear family instead, you would probably find it very lonely. She had to try to relate to who her children became as we grew up in a culture that she hadn't grown up in. How to make sure we felt integrated without being alienated from the family culture?
In addition to all that she had a successful career as an anaesthetist. She worked part-time in order to care for us and the family. She has just taken retirement, a major life change on its own, which was timed to coincide with the arrival of Moksha. She had already come over to help with stuff two weeks before he was born. She came to my last OB appointment with me. She heard Moksha's heartbeat and watched the needle trace out the perfect lines with me. She was at my side a few days later when we were told there was no heartbeat. She was at my side during labour. My husband held my hand. A midwife held one leg back and my mother held the other. She held Moksha in her arms and kissed him. Both DH and I failed to kiss him! I take comfort that he didn't leave completely without kisses from his family.
She looked after me and my husband when we got home from the hospital. She cried with us but made sure we ate square meals, supporting my husband by sharing the load of worry he had for my wellbeing on the days I could not even get up or dressed. She helped me shower in my postpartum state of physical and mental weakness. She did loads of laundry.
For just over a week after Moksha's birth I was covered in a raging red rash, which was eventually diagnosed as a stress reaction. I would wake up in the middle of the night in a delirious frenzy of scratching, breaking my skin and risking infection. I was already on the maximum dose of a powerful steroid and had topical steroid cream in addition. My husband sometimes could not stand the scratching and once burst into tears at the terrible sound of it during the night and at his own helplessness to stop it. He was so tired. He wasn't strong enough to hold my hands down when I was begging for them to be released. In my manipulative delirium (I took sleeping tablets for the first week but woke up anyway with the scratching), I told him to let go and promised I wouldn't scratch. Then I would scratch hard. He fell for it everytime. Not my mother. My mother stayed up during the night to hold my hands down and put cold compresses on my legs, my arms, my feet, my thighs. She didn't let me scratch no matter how much I begged.
She is 62 years old and will be my mother forever. I'm not sure if I can convey what I mean by that last statement. Sure, I have arguments with her just like everyone else. But I could not wish for a better mother and my son could not have wished for a better grandmother. Since I became a mother, I have understood on a different level my mother's unconditional love for her children.
My mother doesn't know I have a blog. I love her so much. She is going through a terrible journey, one which she never expected to have to go through, just like I am. She cannot draw upon her experience to help me. She doesn't always say things which I find comforting but she yearns to make my pain go away. Each of us is in our separate tunnels of grief. They're all shaped differently, have varying levels of darkness and unknown lengths.
I hope one day I can be half as good a mother as my own.
6 years ago




3 comments:
She does sound like a wonderfully supportive and amazing mum.
My mother was the same for me in those first few weeks. She flew right over from Boston and stayed for 4 weeks. She helped look after my daughter, who was 20 mths at the time, and she sat with me every night at the kitchen table when my daughter had gone to bed and listened to me and let me cry my eyes out. My husband couldn't even deal with my grief in those early weeks. But my mother could. I would have lost my mind if it hadn't been for her.
I am so glad your mum was/is there for you too.
I'm glad your mom is there for you, she does sound amazing and i am so glad you have her. And yes, her journey is terrible too -- she grieves the loss of her grandchild as well as for your pain. It must be such a difficult road.
I have to say that i think you are a wonderful mother to Moshka as well (and it is so very difficult to be a good mother to a baby who has died!) and you will be a wonderful mother to the future children you will be blessed with.
Oh, another thing, before i forget. I didn't want you think that my comment about thought experiments was meant to be dismissive or reproachful or anything. I play them all the time in my head too, i think it is natural. But i have also found that it can become destructive, so you have to remind yourself that you are just playing. Mostly what gave me alot of problems was when Chloe was born, thinking that if Nicolas was born alive then we would not have her. This is very tough to process...eventually i just gave up thinking about it and accepted that i want ALL my children alive. But it was eating at me for a good while. So just wanted to explain where that was coming from.
Post a Comment