I was tagged by Clare a while back to write six weird things about me:
1. I have one eye with almost 20:20 vision and one eye which is quite short-sighted. My good eye means that I can see well without needing my glassses, although my bad eye tends to get tired more quickly. Strangely in the UK I am not allowed to drive without wearing my glasses, but over here in Sw.it.zer.land I am allowed to.
2. One of my feet is bigger than the other. It's my left foot that's bigger by half a size, meaning that I always have to get an insole in the shoe of the right foot. When I was trying on some shoes in NYC, the (pregnant) sales lady told me that it is very common and it's nearly always the left foot that's bigger. I wonder why that is?
3. Even before Moksha had his very own death announcement, I used to read them in the paper and get all teary-eyed at the sentiments of people I didn't even know. DH used to tell me to stop reading them. About a week after Moksha's death announcement, I read another one for a little girl who had also died at term. That was weird as I had never seen one for a stillborn baby before. I wrote her mother a letter but she never contacted me.
4. I learned to drive in the UK, on the left side of the road, but never owned a car there. First I was a student and had no money or need to have a car. Then I lived in London and had no need or desire for a car. Then I moved here and learned to drive on the right (which scarily you don't actually need to take any lessons for even if you have a UK driver's licence, just get in the car on the left side and go). Now I have a lot more driving experience on the right hand side of the road and find it much harder to drive on the left. I also had to relinquish my UK driver's licence in order to get a Sw.iss one.
5. I am a scaredycat and risk-averse by nature and Moksha's death has done nothing to help me in that area, I can tell you.
6. Somewhat related to 5., I am unable to watch any type of horror film or nastiness without hiding my face and telling whoever I'm with to tell me when the nasty scene is finished. Example, I could not watch Jame.s Bon.d getting his ball.s whipp.ed in Cas.ino Roy.ale as it was just downright nasty. A few years ago I was utterly terrified by watching The Other.s with Nic.ole Kid.man (I went to see it without knowing what it was about), although I think it is a really good film. For some reason DH bought Gothi.ka with Ha.lle Ber.ry on DVD and I could not watch that in the safety of my own home and had to get up to do the ironing. Whereas DH just laughed at it.
I am supposed to tag six other people, but since I am late doing this tag, it has already done the rounds, so I will spare you. Thanks for the tag, Clare!
Now I have to go and update my goddam profile so that it says I'm 34.
6 years ago




3 comments:
Happy birthday rosepetal. I wish Moksha was with you to celebrate your special day. I'm so sorry he's not.
Re this post, my left foot is almost a 1/2 bigger too! It sucks, doesn't it?
And I have both U.K. and U.S drivers licence. But I had to take the test here, so I took driving lessons before the test. It was not fun and I'm glad I passed the first time.
And re your last post. I swear I could have written it almost word for word. How you feel is normal I think. I was a complete recluse for a long long time. Like you my life had a clear dividing point: pre-Thomas and post-Thomas. after his death I became a different person. Almost no one understood the new me and I found that aggravating. I began to think, feel and see everything differently, but so many people couldn't see, or understand, the new me. It affected lots of my friendships. I ended up dropping a lot of people who I had considered previously to be friends. This was not really a bad thing. I'm a big believer in doing what you need to do for yourself while you are grieving and if this means avoiding people I don't think it is a bad or unhealthy thing. You need to be around people who understand, or who are at least very empathetic. Big (((hugs))) to you and I'm going to order Letters to Charlie now.
I wrote a huge comment (very insightful, too) for your last post and blogger hated me. So, instead, I am wishing you a happy birthday. And being totally selfish, I am hoping that your birthday is a good luck charm for me at my OB appointment!
Love.
happy birthday Rosepetal. I hope you and DH did something special.
and the death notice thing - I read them too and have done for maybe 15 years.
Post a Comment