Monday, 12 February 2007

More on kick counts

I felt I should say a bit more about kick counts. Moksha's stillbirth is unexplained. My own theory is that a blood clot got into the cord and blocked off circulation. However, no clots were found in the autopsy on the cord. But if this was the case, his death could have easily been prevented by kick counts.

There was also a theory that something as yet unknown to medical research went wrong with the electrical activity in his heart. If this happened, it's possible that nothing could have saved him.

On the Thursday evening, we went to the cinema. My husband was already in town working and had a car with him, so in the interest of the environment, my mother and I took public transport, as we would all get home in one car. This involved a short walk, a bus, another short walk, a train, another short walk and a tram. It was REALLY hot and I puffed and panted a lot when making the short walks.

In the cinema, which was thankfully air-conditioned, we watched the film. My OB had told me that if I didn't feel Moksha kicking (which I always had) I could put on some loud music and see if it made a difference.

I had never done that, usually he kicked on his own or when I poked him. But I always felt a bit bad about poking him. Well, and I only realised this several weeks after he died, during the film, which had loud sound, I had thought, he's kicking but not really responding a lot to the sound. At the time, I just thought, sound doesn't do it for him, since it's not a method I had ever used.

Looking back, I believe this was the first sign I should have picked up on.

The next day I had a physiotherapy appointment in the early afternoon and he did kick during that. I don't think he kicked as much as usual though. The second sign I should have picked up on. Another awful thing is that the physiotherapy place was next door to my OB's office. It would have been so easy to just duck in there and say, do you mind if I have a quick listen to the heartbeat?

In the evening, DH says that he saw Moksha kick me when he came home at 7pm although I honestly couldn't say this for myself.

At 10pm is when I started wondering. By then it was too late. Maybe he died between 7pm and 9pm. Maybe he died in the late afternoon. He hadn't been dead a long time as he just looked like he was asleep when he was born. Not to put too fine a point on it, he didn't have any signs of "decay" after death, apart from the fact that his lips were blue. He was born at 8:28am on Saturday morning.

I didn't think something could go wrong. I didn't think it could happen to me. I had no warning signs of ANYTHING throughout my whole pregnancy. No spotting. No cramping. No test scares. No IUGR. No lack of amniotic fluid. The fluid was not stained with meconium when Moksha was born. Not even any fucking nausea. As it says in my profile, I had a perfect, text-book pregnancy, from conception to, well, to the moment of death four days after my term and one day before my scheduled induction.

Moksha died before I went into labour. Neither I nor the OB thinks it was a cord accident (unless a blood clot in the cord counts as a cord accident).

As far as I know, kick counts would not save a baby from a placental or uterine abruption. I don't know whether or how threatening placental abruptions can be predicted or avoided other than by detecting one on a well-timed ultrasound. But with some cord accidents, yes if you noticed your baby slowing down, you could conceivably save him or her by having an emergency delivery earlier.

To answer your question WTF, the Baby Kick Alliance website has three types of template for monitoring kick counts - one for weeks 24-26, one for weeks 27-34 and one for weeks 35 to 42 (not that I'll ever be going to 42 weeks). So I would start at 24 weeks. The cusp of viability as you would say.

And it doesn't have to be a worrying thing to do, some people say it helps you bond with your baby, as you have a set time where you sit down and just concentrate on feeling your baby move. It's not invasive and cannot do any harm to either you or the baby. It gives more objectivity to something which is subjective, for both you and your doctor. I suppose I don't know why there isn't more awareness about it. When I asked my OB about it (too late, obviously), she said that here they only tell people to do kick counts when they have an identified high risk pregnancy. Although she was covered, as she had told me at my last two appointments before that awful night that there was no reason for Moksha to slow down, that he had plenty of space and fluid. No, the buck stops with me on that one.

7 comments:

delphi said...

I know that we all have to process our role as mothers in the death of our children. Especially when that death happens when in utero - when we are solely responsible for their safety and care.

However, I would suggest you try changing one word... You wrote about the signs you should have picked up on. Perhaps the word could would be a better choice. These things that we could have noticed, had anyone made us aware of the precarious situations we were really in.

It doesn't make sense to prepare for an tsunami if you live a landlocked region. So why would you prepare for stillbirth, and look for the signs, when no one really made it clear that this was something that could happen to you? It is just impossible to prepare for something that you don't know about.

Perhaps you could have done things differently, as could I. However, we did the best we could at that point in time with the information that we had available to us. We can't ask more of ourselves (though that doesn't always lessen the regrets).

I hope you know what I am saying here. (((Hugs)))

kate said...

The thing is, looking back it is hard to tell. I cannot honestly tell you if Nicolas slowed down or not. I can tell you the night before the day i believe he died, i was having dinner with friends and was wondering why he wasn't moving as much as usual -- and right then he gave a nice big kick.

When they asked me in the hospital if he had been slowing down in the last week or so, i said no. But then after months of turning it over in my months, i can say 'maybe?' But it is hard to say how much of that is turning it over in the head, and how much is real.

I was never told to do kick counts by *anybody* and i considered myself well-informed. I probably was 'well-informed' by general standards. So that goes back to delphi's comment too.

long35acre said...

What bothered me after the fact is that I learned that not only is DECREASED movement a "sign" but so is INCREASED movement.

Ian was the wiggliest baby there ever way. Especially when I sat down or lay down. He'd wake right up and kick like crazy. I found out later that a lot of increased movement could be a sign that the cord is compressing and the baby is moving to try to uncompress the cord. Hmmmmmmmm.

Even though there was no official cause of death from the autopsy, I've felt it was cord related after reading all I've read. Plus the cord was around his neck once....not enough to leave a mark, but Dr. Collins told me that it's probable he was wrapped multiple times but as he headed down the birth canal that he unraveled.

So---kick counts might have made me realize that he kicked A LOT -- and that wouldn't have seemed a bad thing at the time. Now I realize it could point to something not right.

Kim Tracy Prince said...

Well, I followed the link and printed out the kick count chart and I've been doing it at night after my son goes to bed and I can settle down to watch TV. I think it's nice to have that moment to concentrate on just my growing baby (well, at the same time as watching American Idol or such). Thank you for the information.

Rosepetal said...

ktp, it means so much to me (even though of course that's not the point) that you are doing the kick counts and that you took the time to let me know that. After I read your comment last night I went to bed feeling good about myself.

I hope this next little one is doing fine, now and always.

Anonymous said...

It's thanks to you that i drove my sister mad asking her if the babies still kicking. I did it constantly until we got to the hospital. Thankfully everything went smoothly after that. I wonder if the fact that Moksha was overdue has anything to do with it? Did you ever ask about that.

I can't imagine what you went through getting that far and then losing him at the last minute. It seems so unfair :(

I've only just replied because I had to rush off soon after reading this post last week. Mad panic dash to Gard du Nord at the last minute!

X

Brenda said...

Hi there

Only just read one or 2 posts from you.
Did your Dr's ever say it may have just been a kink in the cord?
That is what they think happened to my angel. (well the start of things turning to shit)
Not that the cord was around his neck or anything like that, but that it simply got a kink in it or he squashed it himself.

Anyway Im going back now to read more about you. :)

Hugs
xxx