At the weekend there were no explosions, although it wasn't easy. We arrived late on Friday which meant we didn't have to spend Friday with them all. On Saturday I managed to duck out of the afternoon by taking a nap.
Couple A were great as normal, taking the time to talk to us (both the male and female half), not shying away from pain or tears, difficult questions, asking about how my mother was doing, asking how we were doing.
Couple B - the male half of couple B talked to DH but not to me. The female half trapped me in her car and spoke her piece for about 10 minutes. She said that she was very ill at ease, that she knew we weren't impressed with them, that they had been very saddened by our story. She said she hadn't know what to say (mmhmm, for more than a YEAR, I was thinking) and had been scared of crying on the phone if she called me. She said she'd received the first box of maternity clothes and thought that she would call me, then never got to it, then received the second box and lost her nerve. She thought that I wouldn't want to talk about the maternity clothes at all. (Yes but just a text message saying that you damn well received them would have been something).
I just listened to her and then said that there were no words of comfort to give to someone whose child has died. That the people that had supported us the most were the people who cried with us, who acknowledged and shared our grief and had shown it. That we weren't given a guidebook with instructions on what to do when your child dies.
What ruined her effort was that after these ten minutes were over and we had arrived at our destination, she said, "So we're good then?". That pissed me off - yes, ten minutes of talk to relieve your own ill at ease feeling does not a year of silence mend.
Couple C - the male half spoke to DH (because he was perturbed by DH's phone call rather than because he was showing any support). The female half didn't say anything. DH generously but briefly asked her about her pregnancy and she told him that she had contracted toxoplasmosis and was taking medication for it.
I was glad when it was over and we went our separate ways again. I really went on this weekend for DH's sake. It was all couples and I couldn't let DH be the only one without either a child or a wife. I also realise that I often only write about DH when he's been annoying me. This weekend I felt like he really really understood me and I felt lucky lucky to have such a great husband.
By the way, DH and I both agree that men-only weekends, at least for a while, are probably the best way forward at this point. DH is also by nature much more forgiving than I am. It just remains to convince the others.




13 comments:
Doesn't sound like too much of a loss to not be around those folks anymore. I am sorry that they are so clueless and self-centered.
The nerve on female B! I wish I could say I can't believe it, but unfortunately, I can. I am very impressed with your restraint though, and I am glad DH and you are in a good place now.
I hope that if DH you explain how hard this has been on you to couple A, the male half of it can help DH convince the others to make it males only for a while.
Glad you made it through ok. Just when we'd like to flog our dh's they stand up for us, take care of us, etc. {{{Hugs}}}
Well female B is a treasure isn't she? I suppose she's very proud of herself for taking the first step to resolve things.
You shouldn't need to waste any more feelings on her. It's time for men only.
I'm so glad your DH understands, and feels the same. I'm so sad when old friendships have to end, so I really hope the three men can work it out.
I am glad you got through that...i was thinking of you all weekend!
It sounds pretty bad -- especially that chat with the female half of couple B. But at least you won't have to suffer through this kind of weekend again.
Whew - glad that's over and hope there won't be another one to dread. Hope you are well and glad to hear that you and DH are supporting one another so strongly.
Congratulations on not pounding Mrs.B. Supportive DH is good to have... a zillion times more than ridiculous people who don't deserve your time/energy.
I had been wondering about your weekend....
Sounds like it was the best you might have expected, what with past behaviour being the best indicator of future behaviour. Men-only is a good idea.
Glad you survived it.
PS. I often wonder if other women think I don't like my husband because I complain too often and don't gush enough. Because he really is fantastic, despite his inability to close the closet door.
Im very happy for you that the weekend is over!
Hugs
xxx
I am gald that you made it though the weekend some what ok. I am just amazed at the female from couple B. She really has no clue. I feel sorry for her. And yes men only weekend from here on out sound like a really good idea.
Incredible self restraint...
Hope you are well... x
Congratulations on surviving. Sometimes, survival is enough.
I haven't been able to keep up well lately so have just learned of your PG-ness, which keeps making me smile. I will hold my breath for you, since you need to keep breathing and supplying O to that little cell cluster (or whatever stage it is now).
Just a thought, regarding a place for a new baby: I'm doing a research project on perinatal bereavement and came across a study on replacement child syndrome that might be of interest to you. It found that the syndrome pretty much only occurred in families where the deceased siblings were acknowledged poorly or not at all, whereas the syndrome practically never occurs in families where the preceding child(ren) was/were openly and systematically acknowledged (as a sibling, in conversation, in recollections, in memorial observances, etc). I suspect that subsequent children nearly always make their own place, by the sheer fact of breathing around their parents, for starters, and that the dear and prominent place of the ones that came before in their parents' hearts actually creates a healthier environment for the living child than if the earlier ones were set aside. Does that make sense? I feel like I'm making a hash of it, but we can discuss it further if I need to clarify. I guess what I should do is forward a link to the study to your group blog-resource-thingy.
Post a Comment