A boy hasn't been born to the Japanese Royal family in 41 years and there was a national debate over a possible succession crisis as currently girls are not allowed to accede to the throne. The debate was somewhat shelved when it was confirmed that Princess Kiko, wife of the second son of the current King, was expecting. Now she has had a healthy baby boy, the debate is in grave danger of being taken from the shelf and thrown into the dustbin.
That's maybe a national cultural thing. I don't really know much about Japanese culture or national identity. I feel for the poor kid with 41 years of expectations already on his little shoulders.
A few days ago I read this article with the words "So the rumours were right. Princess Kiko was carrying a boy after all. She has produced the first male heir to the Japanese throne in 41 years." Is this some sort of industrial production line then? I hate the use of that word "produced" in relation to having a child. She gets a extra shiny medal for turning out the right brand?
And I just read this article. Scroll down to the views of the 24 year old financial trader*. "I don't feel content with just the one male heir. I would like Crown Prince Naruhito to make a further effort to have one more." WTF? Just keep on churning them out until you've got the right number of boys. What sort of effort is Crown Prince Naruhito supposed to make? Does his wife get a say in it? What will happen to the waste-product girls?
The article also shows someone from the other side of the debate (to allow female heirs). But even she says "Perhaps Princess Aiko [the daughter of current heir Crown Prince Naruhito] is relieved. There would have been tremendous pressure if she were to continue the line." Men and women don't have children as part of an individual effort.
* Yes I know, he's just one 24 year old guy who views on childbirth are probably not at their most mature. But I felt like ranting.
6 years ago




0 comments:
Post a Comment