Monday, 15 January 2007

Eight years ago

Quito with Cotopaxi in background

(updated - I took a few personal details out.... anonymity crisis, sorry)


Eight years ago yesterday I met my husband in a crêpe restaurant in Quito, Ecuador. (We didn't get it together until a whole week later - by getting it together I mean snogging whilst drunk in a night club).

Then followed :

- Travelling together in Latin America

- Being apart for three months, meeting up briefly, being apart for another two months

- A year and a half of to-ing and fro-ing between Sw.it.zer.land and the UK at weekends, during which time he was made redundant and found another (better) job

- Me deciding to give up my job in London for one over here, moving my whole life over here and then being made redundant after less than a month in the job, me finding another job

- Him asking me to marry him, waiting for me until I decided I was sure and us getting married

- Us getting pregnant very quickly, having a perfect pregnancy with him coming to OB appointments and reading a story every night to our baby more or less as soon as he could hear

- All our dreams come crashing down as our son died inexplicably less than 24 hours before my scheduled induction

- Dark dark days where he worried for my wellbeing and I wished I was dead so that I could join my son, my son who looked so much like his father

- A new closeness and a deeper realisation of just how much we love each other and how glad we are to be on the journey of life together and how much we loved and love our son

- Slowly, slowly, the construction of new dreams shaped in their core by our love and our son

I love you DH. There is no-one else I could do this with.

3 comments:

SWH said...

I like the story of how you met :) I'm glad you found each other ...

Anonymous said...

Nice to have someone you love so much, helps :)

Clare said...

what an amazing way to meet and court your DH.