I called my OB on Monday. Her answerphone said that she's on holiday this week. My feet have already been swollen three times. I don't think that's normal at all. I called DH in a panic when I found out she was away. He told me to call her on her mobile. She has told me so many times that I could call her on her mobile and I never have.
So I did. It went to voicemail and I left a message which degenerated into barely controlled tears. She called me back a minute later. She hadn't even understood it was me, then she recognised my voice. I apologised again for calling her during her holiday, but I wanted to know if I should see her back-up or wait until next week. She asked me if both feet were swollen or just one. Both is not indicative of a problem. I carry on taking the baby aspirin and the prenatal vitamins and then call her this coming Monday afternoon and she will get me an appointment within the week.
When I told my mum I had swollen feet, I was reassured when she spontaneously asked me the same question - both feet? Basically if both feet are swollen, it is extremely unlikely to be anything related to a blood clotting problem. One swollen leg or foot might indicate a DVT (deep vein thrombosis). It doesn't really explain why I have swollen feet already though. I had them with Moksha, but that was in the height of summer in the 3rd trimester. If I have to break out the support hose already I will officially go nuts.
I am terrified that the first check-up will show a heartbeatless embryo or some other problem which basically means death has visited again.
I have swollen heavy boobs and not much appetite although I am trying to force it a little bit to get some nutrition in there. Although I am starting this pregnancy 10kgs heavier than when I started the last one. My BMI (Body Mass Index) is within the normal range - I was on the border between underweight and normal before my pregnancy with Moksha. I just can't gain 25kgs in this pregnancy like I did in the last one!
To answer your question MB, I was told after they discovered the Factor V Leiden that my blood clotting levels (D-dimers?) would be closely monitored in the next pregnancy and that if I deviate away from the normal pregnancy curve I would indeed be put on Lovenox (it's called Clexane here) and in any case during the 3rd trimester, if I get that far. Right now I am on baby aspirin. What's it like giving yourself the injections?
Now I'm going to create a new label called Pregnancy. That's a BIG leap of faith for me.
6 years ago




6 comments:
God I can just hear the stress in your post!
I truly dread how stressed I will be if I ever get pg again.
I'm sure everything will be fine. There WILL be a perfect heartbeat.
Try to enjoy. :)
Huge hugs
xxx
I am so glad that you called your OB and she is so understanding. I hope that the edge of worry abates slightly so that it is more manageable soon. And I know how difficult it is to live with that spectre of horror lurking. Take it a day at a time, that's all I ever managed to do.
P.S. Thanks for today's comment
I don't know anything about the swelling, so I can't offer anything there except support and caring. Hugs.
The injections? Ah well, I've been doing those for so long because of the IVF that it's no biggie. It's weird, I still have to take a breath and close my eyes before I jab myself because it's just wrong to give yourself a poke.
OB's should be forbidden from taking vacations.
LOL just kidding...yours sounds like a gem, really. I am glad she gave you her personal number and glad that you called her.
I don't know anything about the swollen feet either but i am glad you got good (and the same) advice from both your OB and dr. mom...
(((hugs))) One day at a time is right.
Post a Comment