Sunday, 26 August 2007

Greek tragedy

In Greece, where I have just spent a relaxing holiday, people are dying in horrific wildfires, whipped up by strong winds. Even worse, some fires have been started by arsonists. I read a news story yesterday in which an eyewitness said:

"I can see the burnt bodies of a mother holding her child in her arms. Further away there are more bodies. It's terrible."

I was quite affected in reading those words and wept for them. This mother tried to protect her child beyond the very end and went with him or her to wherever they have gone. I can imagine the terror, the screams, the flames surrounding them and her holding her child close. It is just awful, horrific.

Upwards of 50 people have perished in the flames as they are spreading so quickly. They have been burnt in their cars, trying to escape but cut off by the flames. Whole villages have been vaporised.

I feel lucky, so lucky, that these fires did not bring this horror to our lives when they so easily could have (there did not seem to be any fires in Crete).

2 comments:

delphi said...

Though this may come out of the blue - I actually applaud your ability to feel compassion and empathy for the people who are suffering in Greece. I am afraid that for a long time after C. died, I wasn't able to be the empathetic person that I want to be. I found it most difficult to feel compassion for people who were living through natural disasters far away.

It is truly, truly horrifying what is happening... especially surrounding the conjecture re: arson.

I am also very glad that you didn't experience any of this while in Crete.

niobe said...

I've avoided reading too carefully about the tragic fires in Greece because it's very painful to contemplate all the people who are suffering and dying so pointlessly. Even more so because, as Delphi points out, these kind of wildfires are usually due to arson.