I like other alphabets. I can read Hindi, very slowly, the problem is that I often don't know what the word means after all that effort. Hindi is a completely phonetic language, so once you've mastered the letters of the alphabet and the various accents, you will be able to pronounce any written word.
In Crete, deeply buried mathematical memories struggled up to the surface and I found that I was able to read Greek road signs (and other Greek words except I usually didn't know what they meant). The deltas of partial differentiation, the rho of density-equals-mass-over-volume, the little sigma of standard variation, the big sigma of summation, the theta of plane angles, the pi of circumference to diameter ratio all went floating by in my head. I never did get the hang of compound letters though.
It's all Greek to me: reading the back of the cereal
packet is a good morning brain exercise
I think this says:
Pros:
Athletico Centro
Oropediou Lasithiou.
Feel free to correct me.




5 comments:
Err, ya, i read greek too, like fluently ;|
impressed!
Hindi is so pretty. I mean pretty-looking. I've never heard anyone speak it, but I've always admired the way all the letters link up so they look (to me anyway) almost like calligraphy.
My (extremely limited) understanding is that spoken Hindi is so similar to Urdu that if you know one, you can understand the other. Is it the same for written Urdu?
Niobe, you're right that spoken Urdu and spoken Hindi are similar. But the alphabet is not the same at all - Urdu is written in an Arabic script (something which I absolutely cannot read).
I'm impressed too!
Thank you so much for checking in on me. I have been thinking about you and hope that you are doing ok....I put a password protection on my blog for a bit. But, I will be in touch soon. (My c-section is scheduled for this coming Friday.) Sending you all good thoughts.
Post a Comment