Monday, 26 November 2007

A low key okay

I had a check-up today and all seems okay for the moment. My morphology ultrasound with the specialist is in one week. I went just over three weeks between appointments and found it quite hard. So I'll see my own OB just before I leave for the UK for the holidays.

I will be spending time with my brother's children at Christmas and I am not immune to chicken pox or parvovirus. For the chicken pox - unlikely to be a problem as my niece has been vaccinated in the US (something they don't do here - they think it's better for children to actually get chicken pox in childhood, but hey, I'm glad for me that she's been vaccinated!) and my nephew doesn't spend a lot of time with other children.

For the parvovirus there really isn't much I can do other than not kissing the kids, not putting myself eye-level with them and hassling everyone to wash their hands 50 times a day. The incubation period for parvovirus is much longer than that for chicken pox and symptoms appear later. So, yes, I am feeling rather paranoid about it. But this is what life is. I could also get it from some soon-to-be-rosy-cheeked kid on the bus.

I know Travis died at 20 weeks and IRL I know the mother of K who also died at 20 weeks (K's mother had a subsequent baby boy one week before V was stillborn in the same hospital). So despite my OB telling me that it's at about 26 weeks that risks (placental insufficiency etc) start going up again and now is one of the safest times, I know a little too much to believe it.

8 comments:

niobe said...

... my OB telling me that it's at about 26 weeks that risks (placental insufficiency etc) start going up again and now is one of the safest times.

And, even if this were actually true, I don't understand how this statement is supposed to be helpful in any way. But maybe I'm missing the context.

Rosepetal said...

To be fair the context was that I don't feel this baby moving all the time as s/he is still too small. In fact on the u/s s/he was moving a hell of a lot and I couldn't feel it. So she was trying to reassure me that it would be unlikely for something to happen now (which maybe true but who cares about likelihoods?)

whatthef*ck said...

i like your ticker. glad you put it up. i eagerly await your new posts and am so glad to hear that things are moving along. do you have a doppler? mine helped keep me sane in between the baby's gymnastics sessions so i could assure myself that she was still alive. i got mine at babybeat.com. piece of cake.

thanks for your comment about the ashes. i went in thinking i would scatter them all but then i had to keep some. i wasnt ready. guess i need to finish that post.

Coggy said...

Sometimes I would give anything to not know what I now know about pregnancy.
I don't know how I'm not going to send myself crazy when the time comes.

ms. G said...

We all know too much now. Way too much. The period of time when I felt baby girl moving, but not consistently, was really difficult, and that was when I broke down and purchased the doppler. My new favorite material thing I own.

And, just to let you know, I have become the hand washing boss this entire pregnancy. I'm sure my family is sick of it, but oh well.

Julia said...

Is your placenta on top? That could also make it difficult to feel movement. Maybe, as others already said, a dopler would be helpful?

Yes, we all know too much. Doctors should respect that and not there-there us.

Beruriah said...

The inability to feel so much of this baby's movement has plagued me throughout this pregnancy. I hope that problem will resolve itself for you as the anxiety is overwhelming.

Everyone, especially Julia, is right. No "there there-ing." Pregnancy is so hard now, and very little can make it better.

Thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

I agree, we know too much but the docs don't know that we know as much as them and take us for simpletons or worse still, humor us with text book facts in the hopes it'll calm us. I just humor them back most of the time and take what information I know and use it to my benefit and the safety of my baby.

Hoping for good news next week.