Monday, 28 April 2008

A year ago today

A year ago today was the last time I spoke to my father.

He had been having neck pain and the day before I spoke to him and he sounded terrible. The neck pain was on both sides and wasn't detected as a sign of a heart attack. In fact he had had a "silent" heart attack, a mild one, already.

I called him a year ago today specifically to ask him how he was. He sounded so much better, like his usual self, and I was relieved. At this point we had already found out that A. was likely to have problems and had opted to wait until 15 weeks to do an amniocentesis - to reduce the chances of a miscarriage following the amniocentesis. My father's last words to me were, "I'm thinking constantly of you."

Beanie's second name is my father's name. In the end he never knew A. or Beanie and only saw pictures of V.

He died on 30th April 2007 of a second, massive heart attack, causing his already weakened heart to rupture. He had no chance of surviving this one, even if it had happened in hospital. If the first one had been recognised, perhaps the second one could have been prevented. Or perhaps not. We will never know.

It still doesn't feel like he is dead - it feels like he has just gone on a trip and will be back any moment. I wonder how long it takes for that feeling to go away.

I miss you Dad.

10 comments:

Coggy said...

I'm sorry Rosepetal it is very hard I do know how you feel. It took a good couple of years for it to sink in by Dad was gone. Sometimes when something happened I would normally have called him about I'd find myself thinking 'I'll just give my Dad a call' then I'd remember I couldn't. Those split seconds were horrible. I miss my Dad a lot especially now. X x

Anonymous said...

Big hugs. Thinking of you and your dad.

rella12 said...

Beautiful post. It made me call my dad.
Thanks.

Kristen said...

I miss my dad more than words can ever really say. I distinctly remember the last time I heard his voice, felt his warm hug. It will be three years this August. It tears me up inside that my children will never know their grandfather - with an exception of the stories and pictures I share with them.
I hate that you are going through this - I know on some level we all expect to lose a parent - that's the natural pecking order - right? But I don't think you're ever really prepared for it - especially when they are taken at a young age - with so much left to do on this earth.
I don't know you at all, but read your blog as I find inspiration in your words.
I'm thinking about you today.

hugs

kate said...

I'm sorry....i am thinking of you.

niobe said...

There are so many people that I can't believe, not really, truly believe are gone forever. It's as you say -- like they're on a long trip.

Thinking of you.

c. said...

I am so sorry, Rosepetal. All this grief. Your babies. Your father. I'm just so sorry.

m said...

Thinking of you....

x

Brenda - you can now find me at : www.lifecanbeashit.wordpress.com said...

Huge hugs to you!

xxx

Ange said...

Thinking of you and your dad. x