Thursday, 5 June 2008

The same frame of mind

I'm sitting here letting Beanie whimper for a little while on his own, as he is supposed to be napping and I want to gently teach him to fall asleep on his own. He's not wailing or anything, but just whimpering.

This afternoon Beanie will get his first vaccinations - one in each leg :-( poor baby.

And all the while, I'm racing ahead, thinking what if he dies from an adverse reaction to the vaccine? All I will remember is how he was whimpering alone in his bed that morning.

I don't think about Beanie dying all the time. But today I am. I believe in vaccinations, but you can't put the possibility of a problem completely out of your mind.

Hmmm - some silence from his room (well actually our room). Has he fallen asleep on his own?

Ah. That would be a no.

*******
Update: he screamed and I cried with him in sympathy for the vaccines. He's not very smiley at all and the doctor said I had to watch this carefully over the next two weeks and bring him back if he doesn't get better at social smiling so his sight can be checked. Except I know he can see fine, and have been asking Dr. Google about late smiling and autism :-(

Physically he's fine - he's put on a kilo in one month and is in the 50th percentile for everything. He might have an inguinal hernia (common in boys) which I also have to watch carefully for.

5 comments:

Pbugs Mommy said...

My little one didn't give me an honest-to-goodness, for real,
non-gassy social smile until he was almost 4 months old. He was so serious. Now, he is the goofiest, smiliest, silliest 5-Year old little boy on the planet. Don't get too worried about it, I think you would be jumping the gun a bit (although I understand why).

delphi said...

I hate doctor-initiated benchmark conversations. Makes me feel like I am failing and my child is treading a dangerous path. Which is so far from the truth it would make your head spin. Try not to worry about something a doctors says (HA!), and try to only worry about something that you notice. You know Beanie better than anyone - easier for you to get a sense of personality than a doctor in a 15 minute check.

Good weight gain!

Brenda - you can now find me at : www.lifecanbeashit.wordpress.com said...

You know, these dr's shit me sometimes. My sister had the same problem with my nephew. The dr said he didnt laugh the way he should. WTF?? I told my sister that he probably didnt think things were funny! We all have our own personalities. Some of us are 'happy all the time' people and some are not. I have worked in childcare for over 10 years and trust me, Im sure Beanie will be giggling in his own time. But there is also the chance he will be just one little serious person. i have had a few in my class that were just not smiley overly giggly kids. Some walk around like they have the whole world on their shoulder. Thats just who they are.

Hugs
xxx

L said...

My eldest was a late smiler. It took almost 4 months for him to crack a grin. He was seriously the grumpiest infant. But when he finally smiled, that was it. He is a very happy and social 6-year-old now.
I know this is purely anecdotal but I thought I would share with you anyway.

kp said...

He was born a little early. So maybe he's a couple weeks behind. My daughter was born at 33 weeks and didn't really smile til almost 4 months. Her first real honest-to-god smile was on the anniversary of my first baby's death. So I'll never forget it.