Monday, 8 September 2008

Curious

When they talk about teaching creationism in schools, do they mean in science lessons or in religious education lessons?

5 comments:

kate said...

In science lessons. Because, you know, evolution is just a *theory*.

In the States, there aren't usually religious education lessons in public school.

Anonymous said...

Don't get me started on this one. ;-) Kate is correct.

Rosepetal said...

OK, I did go to a fee-paying school but we had religious education lessons, in which we learned about the Bible, Old Testament and New and about some key verses, but also about other religions, like Judaism, Islam, etc. I remember doing a homework assignment on Sikhism. (And I remember our teacher was called Mrs. Kirton and I started a class rumour that her first name was Annette). So is there a class like that in US schools?

I am slightly incredulous that it would be taught in science lessons.

Ya Chun said...

Public schools don't have religion class (except what might come in a history class) but they want to teach creationism as an excepted science for how the world is today, right along with all the "science theory" that is supported by evidence from all fields. They think that they are equal ideas, so should get equal time. Ya know,the world is 4-6000 years old, Eve was Adam's clone (from the rib) and all the people in the world must be inbreds.

janis said...

yeah, DON"T get me started on this one, too. ;-)