Friday, 16 April 2010

No plan as yet

Right now I don't have a plan (other than drinking lots of water as outlined by Delphi).

I haven't talked to my OB yet although she knew I was going to ask the specialist the question. Both she and the specialist both said what I knew already, it's very common, it's not in itself an indication for a C-section, I will be under constant monitoring throughout the birth and any decels will be visible early yadda yadda yadda.

As far as the specialist could see, it's not looped round several times, in fact he had to look for a long time to determine whether it was around the neck at all as Coccinelle had her head pressed down against her chest. But I don't think it's likely that she will untangle herself as she is already pretty far down in my pelvis. I'm also having more and more BH contractions and one of my fears is that I will go into spontaneous labour (something which has never happened to me) and I won't be hooked up to a monitor when it happens.

To add to it all, the ash cloud from that fucking Icelandic volcano has grounded all flights. Of course my MIL and FIL just managed to take off for the US (for a wedding, which we can't go to and which means they are not here for the birth or more importantly to look after Beanie during the birth) whilst my own mother is coming next Thursday and we don't know if she will be able to fly or not. Had my MIL and FIL been flying today, they wouldn't have been able to leave. They have always said that they would cancel and / or come back if needed, and now they can't come back.

Anyway on Sunday morning I will hopefully see my OB at the hospital when I have a scheduled NST. I will need to know the details of how an induced vaginal birth turns into a C-section due to decels.

3 comments:

kate said...

Yeah, i was thinking of you when i heard about the ash cloud. At least your mom can come by train if necessary.

Thinking of you ((((hugs)))))

delphi said...

I am cursing the ash. Last thing you need.

Let us know what your OB decides to do in terms of when to induce. In the long run, it's probably best to avoid major abdominal surgery (that's what I keep telling myself...), but when something like this comes up, I feel like it's just time to get the baby out. Quickly. Via knife.

It is impossibly hard to maintain any sort of perspective that what has happened to us in the past is deeply and incredibly rare, statistics-wise. Tough to do, when most of the people that I consider my best friends have either buried a baby or had serious complications in pregnancy. Most people don't know what placental abruption or a nuchal cord is. That's because they are rare things. My mantra.

Thinking of you almost constantly. Looking forward to exchanging happy post-birth photos.

HUGS!!!

janis said...

oh, Rosepetal, this is so hard! I can't imagine how you must be feeling, it would be so nice to have family close by for support! I hope the airports open soon and they can be with you.
Thinking of you so mightily. xoxo