Wednesday, 27 September 2006

Books

Delphi's recent request for book recommendations made me reflect on a particular series of books I've read over the past months. I was a prolific reader as a child and even now when I need information, I have a tendency to just go out and get a book (or rather, stay in and order them on Amazon.co.uk since I live in a French-speaking country). I haven't been reading that much recently and I like Delphi's idea of book recommendations and might steal some.

I always keep books I've read, whether I like them or not, and I don't like lending them to people because I get nervous about when I'm going to get them back. One day I'd love to have a room in my own house which I could make into a personal library. It would have rows of shelves of books, a wooden floor and a comfy leather armchair to curl up in. I imagine it with a sunny window and maybe a fireplace, although in reality I don't think this would be very good for the books.

Anyway, this particular suite of books goes like this:

July - August 2005:
Lent to me by a friend:

Fertility and Conception: The Future Parents' Essential Guide to Ensuring Fertility and Conceiving a Healthy Baby by Karen Trewinnard

October 2005 - July 2006
Bought in a fit of initial excitement (book not recommended)

Your Pregnancy Week by Week by Glade Curtis, Judith Schuler

Given to me by a friend:
What to Expect When You're Expecting by Arlene Eisenberg, Heidi Murkoff

Given to me by my SIL for Christmas 2005:
The Girlfriends' Guide to Pregnancy: Or Everything Your Doctor Won't Tell You by Vicki Iovine

July 2006
Bought but unfinished:
What to Expect the First Year by Arlene Eisenberg, Heidi Murkoff (no chapters on expecting your baby to be dead during the first year and all subsequent years)
The Best Friends' Guide to Surviving the First Year of Motherhood by Vicki Iovine

Given to me by my MIL:
Les 100 premiers jours avec bébé : Journal intime d'une jeune maman et les précieux conseils d'une pédiatre by Véronique Mahé

August 2006 - present day:

Given to me by my brother:

Empty Arms: Coping with Miscarriage, Stillbirth and Infant Death by Sherokee Ilse
Empty Cradle, Broken Heart: Surviving the Death of Your Baby by Deborah L. Davis

September 2006 - present day:
When a Baby Dies by Nancy Kohner (part of my holiday reading in Sicily)

Bought in September 2006 but yet to read:
Pregnancy After a Loss: A Guide to Pregnancy After a Miscarriage, Stillbirth or Infant Death by Carol Cirulli Lanham
Trying Again: A Guide to Pregnancy After Miscarriage, Stillbirth and Infant Loss by Ann Douglas

I think I could actually start my own a specialist pregnancy and loss library. Hooray.

2 comments:

delphi said...

"What to Expect the First Year by Arlene Eisenberg, Heidi Murkoff (no chapters on expecting your baby to be dead during the first year and all subsequent years)"

Rosepetal, I just saw this and it made me laugh! My dark mother-of-a-dead-baby sense of humour coming out. All of this not-funny-sh*t makes me howl with laughter sometimes (what the hell else can I do, shoot myself? So I laugh).

Your library is like a carbon-copy of mine. If you need to add second copies to your circulation, let me know! :)

Rosepetal said...

I know. I feel guilty about making any jokes about it because it's really NOT funny at all. But it is the only topic I have these days.