I had an ultrasound today. Except this one was of my neck, to look at my thryoid gland.
Verdict of the endocrinologist:
- I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and will most probably be on thyroxin for the rest of my life given the way my TSH shot up between January (when it was tested by my GP) and March (when it was tested by my OB)
- Pregnant women need about 20-30% more thyroid hormone (T4) than normal
- A woman is considered to be post-partum by endocrinologists for 18 months after birth. During pregnancy, your immune system is slightly depressed. After birth, it goes back to normal, but doesn't do it gradually, rather goes up to a peak then comes back down to a normal level again over 18 months.
- During these 18 months, your immune system becomes quite aggressive. If anti-thyroid antibodies were already there then during the post-partum period they can start aggressively attacking your thyroid glands.
- For me, being post-partum (anti-thyroid antibodies on the attack) combined with being pregnant (needing 20-30% more T4 hormone) means my thryoid gland started giving up the ghost.
- He cannot guarantee no effect on the foetus, but usually major problems are caused when a woman is, say, in her 8th month of pregnancy, has been complaining of tiredness all the way through and her doctor put it down to the fact that she was pregnant, and then it turns out she had an untreated hypothyroid problem. Since mine has been caught early, there shouldn't be any detectable effects.
- There's no point really testing for a bunch of other auto-immune diseases. Vitiligo and hypothyroidism are the two most common auto-immune diseases.
- (Assuming I make it that far) he won't need to see me again after about 4 months of pregnancy.
- My swollen legs were most probably caused by hypothyroidism, which can cause water retention
- It's quite possible that because of the thyroxin I am going to lose some weight before the pregnancy pushes it back up again
So I'm seeing my OB again next Tuesday. I really am thinking, what disease will I be diagnosed with next? Since V. died, I have found out that I have Factor V Leiden and now I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. Let's hope the next thing has an exciting red pill to take - the little white ones are getting dull.
On the other hand I am feeling looked after by the medical community. They talk to each other (as it turned out, my OB called this same endocrinologist to ask him advice on what dose of thyroxin to start me on, before I had even seen him, and the endocrinologist is going to call my OB to update her, and my GP faxed over all my results to the endocrinologist as well as getting me to the top of his waiting list) and are taking everything quite seriously.
6 years ago




10 comments:
I'm sorry you've discovered you have a cronic health issue. and I'm sorry this is all happening whilst you should be happily enjoying this new pregnancy. I hope things pick up for you soon and you catch a lucky break.
I'm so sorry. At least (trying to look on the bright side) they were on the ball enough to identify the problem relatively early.
dont know what to say to that except good lord. okay so your newly -diagnosed diseases maybe will distract you a little from utter terror 24/7? maybe? hey nothing like a rare disease to take your mind off your troubles. how many weeks are you? re: the numbness, i'm still having to work on bonding with this baby. i'm just now thinking maybe just maybe she wont die on me but i;m past my last deadbabymilestone. it sucks beyond my comprehension that your milestone is birth. the only thing that comforted me slightly was figuring that the odds were in my favor for a good outcome, having has such a run of bad luck. could lightning strike your life twice, i.e. another full-term disaster? so freaking exceedingly unlikely, is that any comfort or are you more plagued by the run-of-the-mill statistically early miscarriage? should i just shut the fuck up?
g when it rains at your house it REALLY rains!
Hope all is under control soon and you don't have any other things pop up.
Thanks for looking in at my blog. I had to do the same thing. I have a Blogger account so i can post as well.
Hugs
xxx
I'm glad that they've at least worked out what the problem is and how to treat it- but sorry that you have to deal with it at all.
One day at a time... thinking of you x
Boy o Boy! I'm so sorry for you, what a thing to be worrying about on top of everything else!
I hope it doesnt affect you or the baby too much.
Take care of yourself.
X Artblog
So sorry for the extra stress. But, at least you have good doctors looking after you -- and I am glad they found the problem early and started treating it. I hope that all of your future doctor visits are only happy ones! I am thinking about you every day.....and thanks for checking on me....I need it!
I am glad you are getting such good care....though of course sorry that you got a diagnosis like that! I hope the little white pills help and you are feeling better soon.
Yeah, why are pills white? Why not some pretty red or purple or polka-dotted ones instead? ;o)
Hugs....by discovering the thyroid issue sooner, your baby has a much better chance. So keep that in mind!
{{{hugs}}}
Wow Rosepetal, I have been away WAY to long. Congrats on conceiving!!
This is so bizarre, I just recently had a spike in my TSH level. In January it was 3.2. In March 4.3. The ultrasound showed 2 nodules on each thyroid. My new GP just said they will retest in 6 mos. But reading your blog makes me 2nd guess that. I need to research this more. Any suggestions?
Again...I am happy for you and will keep you in my prayers.
Post a Comment