This was something that DH had wanted to do, he had never really been into visiting a psychologist but had said meeting other parents would be something better for him. What is good about this group is that there are other fathers attending.
In the group there are parents with the following experiences:
- A woman who chose to terminate her third child, a girl and an unplanned pregnancy, at 20 weeks after finding out late of a chromosomal problem. This woman I have actually met before, a few weeks after Moksha died. She helped me understand more on regrets. She has had no support from her husband and indeed he has just left her for another woman.
- A couple whose baby died at 24 weeks after an infection in her amniotic fluid. Her husband comes but seems a bit impatient for her to "get over it" so they can move on with their lives. She said she has always had lots of infections because of a generally poor immune system.
- A couple who have suffered multiple miscarriages, loss of two sets of twins in early 2nd trimester, pregnant with a singleton only to lose the baby at 8 months. She had a completely shell-shocked look and could almost not speak and her husband is angry (at the world, not at her).
- A couple whose baby died during labour at full term. But they only came once and sent a message to say that for personal reasons they aren't coming back. I wondered if she was pregnant again.
- A woman whose baby died at 15 months old from SIDS. The day before her daughter had some vaccinations and she held her arms down while the paediatrician gave the jabs and the baby cried. Obviously the doctor had also examined her and pronounced her healthy and fit. The next morning, her mother found her stiff, cold and dead in her cot. Clearly she wonders if the vaccinations killed her child and suffers with the guilt of having held her arms down. (No conclusive proof has ever been found that it was the vaccinations, and her two older children had received the same vaccinations).
Since for some reason I find it hard to cry much these days, this 2 hour session is a good in that it lets me concentrate on my emotions and on Moksha. DH and I also hear each other speak. I realise that I am very lucky to have such a supportive husband. For example last time I spoke about my guilt and I understood that he really doesn't understand why I should feel guilt.
I also feel that I can offer some help to the other parents, partly from being further on the journey of grief than most of the others, and partly from having written so much about my own feelings and read so much about other people's. In short the blogosphere has helped me enormously.
Now that I am pregnant I wonder if it is (a) good for me to keep attending this group and (b) acceptable to the others in the group once I start showing. I haven't told this group yet (I haven't told anyone except my immediate family and, well of course, everyone who reads my blog).




8 comments:
I have continued to go to my monthly real-life support group meetings for two reasons:
1. It is a comfort to have people who I don't have to explain things to. And it is also great that, in my group, we have a similar varied experience. Our collective losses have occurred over the past 3 years. I don't think I rely on the group as much as I did two years ago, however, I guess I see myself as an "elder" in the sense that I am 2 years down the road and have "survived" a subsequent pregnancy with a good outcome.
2. When I first joined the group, several other women got pregnant again after their losses and they all quit the group. They said that they had "graduated". It made me so angry because a) I wasn't getting pregnant at that time and b)how do you "graduate" from grief!?!? So I continued to attend throughout my pregnancy, even when I was HUGE, and talked about my fears for BB and my grief for C. It was good for me to do that and I really believe it was good for the other women. They are all pregnant now and I like to think that it is helpful for them to have been there through my pregnancy. I was pretty open about my thoughts and fears, so I hope that when they face the same fears, they don't feel like they are going crazy.
I think that it is totally up to you whether or not you continue to go. If you feel that there is some benefit, you should keep going. Don't let your pregnancy hold you back - you certainly know that pregnancy does not do much to cancel out the grief that you feel. Try not to worry about the feelings of the others. You can only hope that they will have another pregnancy (if that is what they want) and that your experience shared will be of support to them.
Sheesh, it sounds like I am telling you what to do!
I just wanted to say that I would have really liked to have had a support group during my subsequent pregnancy- if the other people in the group were comfortable. It would have been nice to be able to talk to people who understood why I didn't view my sub. preg. as a "sure thing", or why I felt so anxious. It was so tiring to have everyone say, "it will be fine" when I knew there was no such guarantee (thankfully, my sub. preg. did end happily).
Perhaps, when you are ready, you could as the facilitators for their views on whether you should remain as part of the group?
I could never go to a 'real life' group like that. I would just sit in a corner and cry the whole time I was there.
I think its a good place to go if you find it helpful though.
I'm just much better blogging about how I feel.
Hugs
xxx
I don't see the harm just because you are once again pregnant, i think the pain is still there and needs an outlet and if your helping others, why not.
As long as you say, it doesn't make anyone there uncomfortable I think support groups are a good idea.
That's a really, really hard one. We haven't managed to get to our area's group yet, because it's at an inconvenient time. But I think I wouldn't mind if I did go and saw a pregnant woman - I'd understand that her current pregnancy doesn't erase her loss. It'd be easier, actually, than seeing the random pregnant woman on the street.
If you want, keep going, I saw. You might need the support as your due date gets closer.
I think it's great that you're going if you are getting something out of it. Maybe you could just lay it out on the table that you're pregnant and let everyone know that you are concerned of their feelings and just get everyone's opinion about attendance. I suspect they'll offer support because like Sara said, it's less painful to see your pregnancy than some random woman on the street. They know you're story, and chance are, they won't resent you.
Thanks for all the advice.
Well, this support group has a limited life, there are some loose themes to each session but in July sometime it will be over as a formal meeting. Of course, if I am still pregnant in July, I won't be able to hide it anymore.
I guess the trouble with pg is that the members of the group are at different stages. Some had their babies die recently and some longer ago than Moksha. The one who lost a baby at 8 months gestation after losing two sets of twins and multiple miscarriages, she still seems too shocked to even speak.
I agree with Delphi, I'm not expecting to graduate from grief, I think it is a lifetime learning course for which there is no refund.
I will probably suggest a meeting with a loose theme of trying again and subsequent pg.
and Brenda, a lot of people do sit and cry, including me. But we can listen and even talk through the tears with the ears and tongue of those who are living through the same grief, which I guess is what is helpful.
I should say that we did talk about subsequent pregnancies in our group before any of us got pregnant - and we agreed to not leave (as those before us had done). I think that leaving the decision up to the other group members is a good idea. I did go to my group and say "I am pregnant, I am scared, and I would like to keep coming. But I totally understand if you all would rather I stayed away."
Post a Comment