Wednesday, 9 May 2007

About termination

Termination is scheduled for next Tuesday. That's the day after our 2nd wedding anniversary. There are different reasons for selecting Tuesday.

1. My OB, who was with us when V. was born and has supported us physically and emotionally and who knows us, is away from Thursday to Sunday. She said we could go into hospital yesterday evening, but that was rather fast for us. She said she could set us up with another doctor but we would rather go through it with her. She has a rare gift of remaining professional whilst adopting the right tone and managing to show her own compassion. Examples of other doctors who don't have this:

The specialist who did the amnio. Spent ages looking at the heart on the screen but did not explain anything at all until I said, "Can you see a heart defect?" He treated each question like it was an irritation to his work. I asked him to explain the defect and he launched into a very technical explanation. I am usually quite good with technical explanations but in the end I just told him to write it down and I looked it up on the internet later. He told us it was closely associated with trisomy 21 but the amnio should be done anyway as it was the only way of being sure.

When it came to the amnio he didn't explain anything, I had to hurriedly ask seconds before he jabbed the needle in if it was going to hurt. His assistant showed a lot more compassion. It was rather suddenly plunged in and yes it hurt, not unbearably but it hurt (more than a blood draw which is what they told me it would feel like). In the middle of it I felt a deep deep sob welling up inside me and struggled to keep it in for fear of moving too much with the needle inside. That must have been hard for DH to see. It hurt more when they took the fluid. Then the needle was withdrawn and I was told to wipe myself down. I asked if I would get any type of bandage (even just a sticky plaster) and was told, no, no. I couldn't understand why I wasn't bleeding from the needle jab. I asked about the risk of miscarriage and all he said was, "That's essentially linked to loss of fluid." And? And? Loss of fluid from where? From where you stuck the needle in? From the vagina? How will I know? When should I rush to hospital? Thankfully my own OB was much more helpful.

Second example: the genetecist we saw yesterday. She gave us a mini lesson in cell division, mitosis and meiosis. Her tone was all wrong, too light and convivial, too many smiles. She was a little patronising (there was a student sitting in, which I didn't mind, he didn't say anything but she kept asking him if she had explained xyz complex topic well). She knows our history. At one point I was upset and said something about losing my second child. She launched into "Well, don't worry, you're young, it doesn't matter, you'll have another one." Bitch. Both DH and I slammed her. Afterwards I thought about how I should have said, "To you these are just cells in a laboratory, to me this is my son."

So we would prefer to go through this with our own OB who we know, who knows both of us and who feels deeply for us.

2. A. can spend our wedding anniversary with us. We have a week to say goodbye to him.

3. It means that we don't have two lost children to show for our two years of marriage.

For the termination decision, I have to say that the Trisomy 21 combined with a severe heart defect makes it slightly more clear for me. Just Trisomy 21 and I would have struggled a lot more. But to make A. who will already have poor muscle tone, go through several open heart surgeries as a little baby does not seem to be in his best interests. Whilst waiting for the surgery, he could become brain damaged due to poorly oxygenated blood. I do believe that that struggle is not in his best interests. He will already be prone to infection.

Just the heart defect and I would have carried on. If he was going to be well equipped for the struggle of recovering from open heart surgery, I would go on. But he isn't going to be.

Through the first three months of this pregnancy I had trouble believing in you A. Now I love you with all my heart, I have no doubt at all. Daddy loves you too.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am absolutely appauled that the genetic counselor said such an awful thing to you. What was she thinking??

Once again, I am so sorry for what you're going through. Lean on all of us...we're here to support you no matter what.

(((hugs)))

kate said...

Like Kathy, i am appalled that you had specialists with such hard hearts. And i am glad that your OB is different.

Yes, we support you no matter what. Thinking of you ((((((hugs))))))

Catherine said...

I love you like a sister even though we've never met. I am crying for you. No...sobbing for you. I want to rant and rave at the universe about the unfairness of it all. I want to smack any person who treats you unkindly (including stupid doctors and nurses). I have all of this rage and anger on your behalf. I so want you not to have to face this nightmare.

Please know that you are constantly in my thoughts. If there is anything concrete that I can do for you, please just say the word and I will do whatever I can to help.

Please take care of yourself and feel the love being sent your way from around the world. {{{hugs}}}

Clare said...

Oh Rosepetal, I know you love A and I know this is really, really hard for you to live through. I support you and your decision 100% and hope you and DH can find a way to cope and support each other throughout the difficult days, weeks and months ahead. Much love to you. xClare

Sara said...

Oh, Rosepetal. I am so sad for you. And thinking of you constantly.

I wish I could tear those specialists apart.

AJW5403 said...

I can not believe the way you were treated by both that doctor and the genetic counselor. They should both no better then to act like that in their line of work. I am so sorry you had to deal with them.

I am glad you are going to wait on your doctor. You will need all the caring people you can present during this time.

And you know I support you 100% and understand completely. As you spend this last bit of time with A I wish as much peace as possible.

Bon said...

i'm new, here from Nicolas' Garden...and i am so sorry. sorry for the unfairness of all this grief in your life right now, sorry for V's death and A's impending termination...sorry for the burden that the last year has placed on you, because it's more than it should be for anyone.

and i'm particularly sorry that your geneticist was such a callous idiot. people continue to amaze me with their insensitivity to loss. a small broken part of me always wishes viciously - for a moment - that it would happen to them so they would understand...but life doesn't work that way, i know.

it's clear that you love your children. i wish you healing in the long run, and, for this week, peace and honour to A and your family.

Researcher said...

(((Rosepetal)))

I'm so sorry about the dx for A. (I'm also here via Nicolas's Mom.)

Your doctor sounds kind and skilled. But, like everyone else, I am disgusted with the specialists: "young and can have more"? That's just horrid. Absolutely not acceptable.

Thinking of you while you spend this week with A and prepare (as best as one can) to say goodbye.

Love,
Suzanne

Aurelia said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this happening. I'm new to your blog, and I just wanted you to know that I've been through a medical termination, and if you need anything, anything at all, please email me. Anytime.

This is so so sad, much love to you and your family.

Lori said...

I'm just another mom who wants to let you know that I am so sad for all of your losses, and I am thinking of you.

I lost my Dad two years ago. He died at the age of 62, only a year and a half after our twins died from prematurity. I miss him terribly and wanted you to know that I am also so sorry for the very recent loss of your father. Loss upon loss... I am so sorry.

delphi said...

I haven't commented in days because I have been looking for the right words. I can't offer you a hug, I can't share my tears with you, and I can't hold your hand. So I was looking for words that I could offer you.

But their aren't any right words. The English language does not contain words to express what is in my heart for you.

So instead, I offer you the thought of the right words. Know that my heart, mind, and prayers are full of you right now, with everything that you must face.

If it is possible to love a person that you have never met face-to-face, I am doing that.

long35acre said...

Oh Rosepetal, I can identify with your pain. I have been there. {{{Hugs}}}

I cannot believe that COUNSELOR is the right term for the genetic jerk. I guess "bedside manner" is not a term all doctors and professionals are blessed with.

Email me anytime if you want to chat.

connie

Nicole said...

I just don't know what to say, so I will stick with I'm sorry. I am so very very sorry. I know how much you wanted this baby.

Julia said...

Your love and compassion are remarkable. I am so very sorry they are being tested so cruelly and so soon. I am thinking of you.

And that geneticist? Is there an ethics person in the hospital you can complain to? This is unconscionable. You are young is such an idiotic thing to say. Do they think our children are trading cards? That we can trade one in for another? I am very sorry you had to deal with that on top of everything.

M said...

Oh Rosepetal, I feel so stupid and inadequate over this side of the world whilst you are enduring such heartache yet again.....

Much, much love to you all xxx

Ann Howell said...

This all seems abhorrently unfair. I am so, so sorry that you're going through this. As Catherine said, it makes me want to rage against the universe. Thinking of you and little A.

BasilBean said...

There really are no words to express to you how sorry I am that you have to bear so much. I do not understand how or why these things happen.

I wish that there were a way for you to feel the love and support that I mean to send to you.

Jillian said...

I have agonised for hours trying to find the right thing to say but there's nothing is there? I am railing against the incomprehensible unfairness of your load.

As for your being young...that doctor has no idea how old you can feel in spite of a youthful appearance. You've already lived a lifetime and and half.

I'm holding you and your DH and of course your precious son in my heart. He will know the love you have for him (((hugs)))

msfitzita said...

Oh Rosepetal...

I'm just utterly heartbroken to read your updates tonight. I don't know what to say other than I'm just so very, very sorry. This is all so cruel - that you should lose two so dearly loved and wanted boys is unfathomable to me. I'm just so very, very sorry.

I wish there was something I could do for you. I wish the world wasn't so cruel. I wish sorrow wasn't heaped upon sorrow the way it so often seems to be.

I wish you weren't mourning so many souls.

I'm so very, very, very sorry.

wannabe mom said...

I am so very sorry. It's so incredibly unfair. Beyond unfair. I cannot believe this is happening to good people who do not ask for anything more than to love a child. Much love to you and your family.

laura said...

i'm so sorry.

Unknown said...

Sweetheart,

I am sending you all of my love.
I am so, so sorry. Just so sorry.

All love and peace.

Erin, Birdies Mama

Brenda said...

I really do understand the horrible decision you have both had to make.
and like you I my husband and I had to make one like this - it was the right thing to do. It shows just how much you do love your baby.

Huge hugs to you both
xxx

Kendra's mom said...

Sending you lots of support over the datalines. I wish you strength during the next week. I don't know what else to say but I really, really feel for you.

Athena said...

I am just sobbing for you. I know how much this must hurt. It has brought up feelings of anger again, because my OB was the only nice one too. No one seems to understand, unless they've been in the situation. it wasn't until I literally screamed at the doctor that he actually treated me human, not just another case to chalk up...
I'm so sorry, I can't even stop crying... You are in my prayers.

Julie said...

You are in my thoughts and prayers today. I hope everything goes as smoothly as possible. Sending you all of my love. (((hugs)))