Thursday, 17 May 2007

Drowning

I am slowly drowning. There is too much to process, too much to think about. I need to go to my mother and support her. We got so much support from her after V. died and I wish she was here. She wishes she was here too. But she is at home dealing with the death of my father. I wish I was there. I wish none of this had happened. I wish V. hadn't died. How much easier life would be. A. wouldn't have even been here if V. had lived and he wouldn't have died as well.

So much death. My brain is not able to process all these things. It doesn't know where to begin.

When A. was born, I felt animal anguish, distress and fear. There were no thoughts. Just extreme distress. Pure emotion, no intellect. I don't know how I pulled back from that. By looking into DH's big, blue, tearful, concerned eyes. He held one hand, my OB held my other hand and the midwife stroked my leg.

When I went into theatre for the curettage to remove the placenta. which was not delivered, I became locked into an anxiety loop. I was conscious as I had eaten something a few hours before the birth, making a general anaesthetic difficult and anyway the epidural was enough. It's actually why I said yes to the epidural in the end. I had asked DH to stay with A. It's frightening lying on the bed and watching the ceiling lights go by. I don't know why. It's just a frightening perspective.

I was wheeled into theatre. I knew I was bleeding as that was why I had to go to theatre and not wait anymore with A. and DH. My OB was pressing on my abdomen and I could feel something coming out although I didn't know what it was. She spontaneously told me that it wasn't only blood, but also some urine and air and not to worry. But I worried anyway. I became convinced I was going to die from blood loss. I knew that my mother and DH would not be able to cope with my death. I told a masked person next to my head to tell my husband, my mother and my brother that I loved them. She said I could tell them myself very shortly. I became convinced that if I didn't die, I would need an emergency hysterectomy. My OB saw me in this cycle and told the anaesthetist to give me something to calm me down.

It worked as I don't remember anything else about theatre. I remember being wheeled out and the epidural line being removed by the anaesthetist but not that my OB had spoken to me before going back up to speak to DH. She had told me that there were no complications, no uterine perforations, that the curettage went well. The midwife told me again before wheeling me back up. A. was still there with DH, in his little bed made of a hospital dish, a hospital blanket and my mother's knitted blanket and a little gauze sheet. My mother's knitted blanket was much too big in the end. It was made with love and will go with A.

And now? Just 48 hours later and my post partum bleeding is very light. No pushing required. No loss of bladder control. A. was so very small. But he already had fingernails.

21 comments:

Meredith said...

Hello, I am new here because my sister sent me and now I am bawling for you and your loss. I can't even say that 'I know what it's like' or 'I feel your pain'. I probably only feel a fraction of what you are going through and I really wish there were a way for me to alleviate some of your pain, more than a fraction.
I am sorry that I have no real words of comfort for you; again, I wish I did.

Julia said...

Rosepetal, I am so sorry. You have been through way more than your fair share. I am so so sorry.

Clare said...

Rosepetal I wish there was something, anything I could do to help ease your pain and suffering. I feel 10 million miles away and not able to say or do a thing. I simply cannot believe all this has happened to you. I wish it weren't so. My heart breaks thinking about A and what you have gone through. I am so, so sorry. You are in my heart and in my thoughts. Much love.

Jillian said...

Much, much love Rosepetal. PLease keep writing, please allow us to help try keep you afloat. This year has been brutally cruel and it's weight can be nothing other than suffocating. If only there was some way to ease even a fraction of your pain you know we'd all do it in a heartbeat. Holding you close x

Anonymous said...

(((hugs))) thanks for continuing to write and share your thoughts. I was walking my dog this afternoon and I walked by a house with freshly planted orange marigolds and I instantly thought of you and your precious boys.

Always here to help hold you up...

kate said...

I am so sorry...i think of you constantly....sending you much love.

*Can* you go visit your mother soon? And maybe stay with her for awhile? It might be good for both of you if that could be worked out...

Jennifer said...

twice today while I was out I saw yellow pansies...

Jen said...

I am just sitting here with tears running down my face, wondering how much pain is one mother supposed to endure? I am so sorry. Thinking of you so much.

M said...

Oh Rosepetal, like everyone else I just feel so useless....

I wish I could just sit with you, not talking, just being there, sisters in arms... I felt your terror as you went to surgery, I felt the same when I had my first d&c after I lost our first twin girls.

Much love to you my friend. x

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got out of it relatively ok, physically at least.

I wish I could send you a card or a little trinket but I don't have your address.

I'm thinking of you each day.

X

Catherine said...

Such sadness in those little details. Though our experiences are not the same, I know that feeling...where each person stood, the lights, the feelings in your own body, the raw feelings of pain and grief, the fingernails. It is all too much to deal with at once. But there is no other way, is there?

Just please know that you are not alone. And if you feel like you are drowning there are many of us standing here, ready and willing to do whatever it takes to throw you a life preserver. I hope you feel that love and support. I hope you know that we love you and wish for you to find healing and peace.

Anam Cara said...

My heart is breaking for you too rosepetal. I am so sorry for everything you have gone through and continue to go through. I will never understand the complete unfairness of it all. It is just too much death, suffering and grief for one family to go through. As always sending you (((hugs))) and wishing I could do more for you sweetie.

long35acre said...

Tears. No words.

delphi said...

Drowning... an apt description.

Please know that I don't want you to drown, that I want to be helpful in some way, even though I know that is hardly possible. Perhaps a trip to spend time with your mother would be the best thing... I don't know. The details of what you have written here break my heart.

One thing does shine through - the deep love you have for V., A., your husband, your mother, and your father. Love is always good, though right now it made up of pure pain.

Know that I am thinking of you often.

Bon said...

oh. oh.

so raw, like an open wound...i am so sorry.

pieces of all you said resonated...the placenta not coming out, the death all around, the fear...but for me they were all separate experiences, not all in one shot like you've had, and i am overwhelmed with sadness for you. and though you do not know me, i wish i could be there just to sit with you.

meg said...

I saw the beautiful flowers on Patience's blog. I just wanted to say that I am very sorry for your losses. I have been through similar losses myself, and I have to wonder, where is the fairness in this life?

niobe said...

This is just too terrible. No-one should have to suffer like this. It's incomprehensible. It's beyond belief.

Brenda said...

I am so very sorry.
They say pain and loss make you a stronger person, but hey, there is only so much a person can take!

Huge hugs
xxx

Cheek said...

My God, I wish there was something I or anyone could do to ease all this pain for you - I would do it in a second.

Thinking of you and so, so sorry.

Angela said...

I am speechless and angry for you. This is not right, this is just not right. You and your husband obviously love both your boys so much; why can't they be here with you?

::hugs:: I am thinking of you always, these days.

Topcat said...

Dear Rosepetal,

Death has visited you too many times. Enough. I have cried for you and prayed for you. So many people have you in their thoughts. Please let others carry you through the dark times. It will not always be this dark. It won't. I wish you peace. I wish a soothing balm for your troubled heart.
xoxo