Monday, 21 May 2007

Gone

A had the same type of coffin as his brother V., it rested in the same little room as V. did (room number 19) and this morning he was cremated in the same furnace as his brother V.

V. didn't have flowers on his coffin and we didn't visit him at the crematorium before the actual cremation. I guess there was a lot more shock, and the fact that it was a full term birth meant that I was still recovering. And plus the sad fact that I already know what to do this time around.

We visited A. on Saturday and on Sunday and were present for the cremation this morning. His paternal grandmother also visited him on Sunday with us. His (living) grandfather said it was too difficult and didn't come.

I even saw A again on Saturday. The man at the funeral directors that we saw on Thursday was a total idiot and I told him I needed the coffin open since I didn't have any confidence that he would make sure A. was wrapped in my mother's blanket or given the toy. My mother finished that blanket after my father died. So I checked it for myself. It was all there.




I put a marigold in on Saturday and today I put some incense sticks in as well. Now I know that I could have seen V. again before his cremation. I didn't but I could have managed it.

I spend my nights wondering whether if I go to my mother in June my husband will die in an accident whilst I am away and if I don't spend time with my mother she will die alone with no-one to discover her. And I spend my time missing my Dad and slowly absorbing that he is gone forever and that he will never call me again and clear his throat on the phone and say hello [Rosepetal], how are you?

Where in this is the space for me to think about V? V. has suddenly become the big brother who needs to look after his little brother. The coffin was much too little when I saw it for V. But for A. it was huge.

I'm sorry A. I hope we did the right thing. I wanted you to avoid a life time of suffering, of such major operations on your little little heart when you would hardly have the strength to recover. 60% of Trisomy 21 babies miscarry in the 1st trimester. You made it but I ended it for you. I'm sorry.

I miss you Dad.

And V., I wish you were here.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Big (((hugs))). For what it's worth, you have a whole group of women who are right here with you. You did what was right for you and your family...I hope soon that you may find some peace.

long35acre said...

{{{HUGS}}}
I wish there was something I could say to make it all better, but I know that there isn't. I can only wonder why life seems so unfair sometimes.
Connie

Angela said...

::sigh:: I just don't know what to say.

Thank you for sharing the picture of A.'s coffin.

::hugs::

AJW5403 said...

The blanket is bueautiful. ((HUGS))

Anam Cara said...

Rosepetal, I am at a loss for words. I can't get my head around the unfairness of it all, and how you have had more death and grief to deal with in just 10 months than many people have in a lifetime. I wish more than anything there was something I could to do ease your pain and suffering. Sorry just seems so inadequate.

Brenda said...

You did the right thing. Im just so sorry that you ever had to made a decision like that in the first place.
Your thoughts of your husband, mother and so on are so normal at this time. And I would be thinking the same things.

The blanket is lovely and thankyou for putting the photos on and sharing with us.

Life is a really big shit hole sometimes. For others it seems to be most of the time. I really am so sorry this is happening to you at all, let alone all at once.

Hugs
xxx

delphi said...

I don't know how you could possibly process all that has happened in your life in the last weeks (let alone months). I don't know where V. is in all this. It is so hard to know how to take it all and make any sense of it. There is too much, too close together.

I am thinking of you and hoping you find tiny moments of peace in your days.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
whatthef*ck said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
whatthef*ck said...

words fail me. i at least wanted to say that. so you'd know that i am here.

even if i slack on the blogging after my long road to this baby is over, i will read your blog constantly until i read about your happy ending. your happy ending that will come.

just so you dont wonder, those were my comments that i deleted because one had my name and one had my password. i hate blogger sign-in bullshit.

BasilBean said...

I can only imagine how difficult it must be to process everything, if it is even possible at all. After we lost William I remember Mr. C telling me sometimes that I didn't have to think about certain things *yet*--that I could wait until later. I'm not sure if this makes sense or is even reasonable for you, but it came to mind so I thought I'd mention it.

I fully believe with all of my heart that you did what was right.

Julie said...

(((hug))) I wish there was more I could say or do.....

Julian's Mom said...

I'm so sorry for what you are going through. I am glad you were able to see A. one last time before saying goodbye.

Yankee T said...

I don't know how I came across your blog, but I want to send you support and hugs. I'm so sorry.

Ruby said...

I'm so sorry.

Mystic said...

I'm so sorry, Rosepetal. I have no way of understanding all what you've been through.

I wish I could take some of the pain away from you.

Karen

Jillian said...

{{{Gigantic bear hugs to you}}} How, how, how could this have happened to you again? This whole month should be a horrible dream you can wake up from. Again, I'm just so very sorry for your pain.

Kathryn said...

I am so sorry that this little one had to die. I'm sorry for your loss. I can't imagine what you are going through right now, and I pray that you will find peace. I hope there are many that will hold you, and help you through your grief.

msfitzita said...

Oh Rosepetal...

I can only imagine the agony you must be in right now, and I wish there was something - anything - I could do to help.

I'm so glad the blankie and toy were safely tucked in with A.

I'm wishing you peace and hoping that you have now experienced all of your life's sorrow.

((((HUGS)))

Anonymous said...

this is sooo long ago, and i don't mean to stir up old feelings for you. i just want to thank you for your blog and especially your honestly in this post.

i have lost two babies, two girls, one to genetic issues (which let to an induction and technically an abortion) and one due a an incompetent cerclage.

i now fear that everything will go wrong. that everything will die, that nothing will work out for me.

i can't tell you how happy i am that you have finally brought home your living, breathing son.

i draw strenght from you.

thanks.