Thursday, 24 May 2007

Living

I just went to see my psychiatrist. I feel these sessions are much more useful than the ones I had with a psychotherapist after Moksha died.

One of the questions she asked was if I had been having any particular dreams. And last night (or rather this morning) I did have a particular dream, the theme of which I have written about before (dream 3). I have had this dream several times since Moksha died.

I am always at university, in my hall of residence. It's always my final year and although there are people around I don't know any of them. DH is never in this dream. I don't know where my lectures are and I have no books or notes. We spoke a little about this dream which helped me maybe understand the underlying themes better. I'm not a big dream interpretation fan, but since this one is a recurring dream, I think the underlying themes are worth analysing a bit.

During the session, I realised that in the dream, I feel fully responsible for the disaster of failing all of my exams, which will clearly happen as I haven't actually attended any of my lectures. I know that it is my fault, that I have made no effort to actually find any of my lectures or even a timetable. I am alone, even though there are people around. I just wander around my corridor and my room feeling bad and helpless, but even in my helplessness, I know I'm not really helpless, I've just not made any effort.

The psychiatrist asked me if I am a young student in the dream, or if I am me now. I didn't really know, but having thought about it on the way home, I feel in the dream as I would if I had to take chem.ical engineering finals now - that's my degree but I have never worked as a chem.ical engineer in my professional life, and know jack-shit about it now. And by the way, my father was a chem.ical engineer too.

It's strange as in real life, I was always anxious about exams, until my third year when I did an exchange year in France, and came back for my final year a lot more confident. I often refer to that year in France as a pivotal year in my character development. In my final year, which should be the one with the most pressure, I coped very well. And I got a good degree - in fact it would have been a first class degree had I coped better in my first two years, which counted towards finals 10% and 20% respectively. As it was, it was a highly marked 2:1. (Read here to understand British degree classifications if you're not familiar with them).

So why in my dream is it always the final year when I actually did well in that year?

Of course I can make an obvious link to the anxiety and feelings of avoidable failure and can already imagine the psychiatrist exploring that more next time - subconsciously I feel that I have failed every where as a direct result of my own actions, of which I was in control.

The psychiatrist said that the reason I can't eat three meals a day is probably because I seem to have very little concern generally for me as a living person. I am completely focused on the other living - mostly DH and my mother - and on the dead - Moksha, my father and A. There is no space for me as a living person with my own needs. So why would I force myself to eat properly, when my own self-worth is so low? I did tell her that I have had suicidal thoughts, but that, especially now, my mother and husband would absolutely not be able to cope with that and that was not an option open to me. Naturally she said I needed to be able to live for myself and not only for others. Makes perfect logical sense, but not easy to make it become part of your fibre so that you really believe it.

10 comments:

niobe said...

It sounds as if this psychiatrist might be very helpful. I especially like her interpretation of why you find it difficult to eat. I'm not sure if it rings true to you, but it perfectly describes my feelings during the stressful times I couldn't eat.

I used to have a similar kind of academic anxiety dream, in which I was taking a final exam to graduate from high school, but was totally unprepared.

Eventually (although I'm not quite sure how), I was able to reason with myself while I was dreaming and tell myself that I'd already graduated from high school and college, so I didn't have to take the exam. After that, the dream stopped.

ms. G said...

I'm new to blogland and stumbled upon your blog. I am so sorry for your losses.

I think the psychiatrist may be right. Since my son died, I have not taken very good care of myself, participating in both not eating for periods of time followed by comforting myself with food and gaining weight.

I don't know that I will ever truly live for myself again. I often feel dh, my mom, my sisters and brother are why I must carry on. I can't give them more pain. I never really thought of this as a problem, it keeps us here, doesn't it?

kate said...

I used to have a similar recurring dream when i was a student. Now that i am a teacher, i occasionally dream that i had to *teach* a class that i totally forgot about, and it is the end of the semester...

I am glad you are talking to someone whose sessions you find helpful.

delphi said...

It seems as though your psychiatrist will be helpful - I am glad that you are feeling that the sessions are worth your while. I hope that she can help you work through these dreams. I hate that type of dream and I have them all the time. Not a reccurring dream, but dreams of a similar nature. You awake anxious and disconcerted from that type of dream.

Thinking of you.

Anna said...

I think that when our children die, a big part of us dies, too. And I don't think anyone can understand what it's like to have this death inside you unless they've experienced it themselves. It scared me how close to death I felt during my worst moments, but I didn't actually want to kill myself. I just had this awareness that some part of me had died. Someone once told me that after her miscarriage, she realized that her body was grieving, not just her mind, and I think that's something that should be recognized.

We do come back to life, eventually, but it takes time. I think it helps, though, to know that you have good reasons for feeling this way. That this isn't crazy or irrational. This is a real thing. And my experience has been that the healing really begins when you make those initial steps toward loving and trusting yourself again.

Anonymous said...

I've' just written a post on what I did to myself after Gabrielle, so I guess we all go through a stage when we don't really care about our bodies or what we do to it.

Suicide is always a contemplating thought after such a traumatic event, I certainly felt them myself, but as you say, there are people around you that need you and that's what keeps us going.

Your Psy, sounds like she talks sense, I hope you continue going.

XXXXXX

kate said...

I came back to this to suggest that instead of worrying about three square meals a day, you could just try to add more (healthy) snacks. This is somehow less overwhelming and less repulsive than a full meal. Yogurts are good.

long35acre said...

My recurring dream has to do with me not remembering my schedule (in high school it usually takes place). And by the time I finally figure out where I'm supposed to be, I don't have the right book, but I can't find my locker. If/when I do find the locker and get the book, I realize I never did the homework. And I feel sick.

The other recurring dream is that I'm riding the school bus and halfway through the ride I realize that I own a car and why didn't I just drive myself? (It's always my current car so I'm definitely me at this age, as opposed to a teen.)

Hugs to you.....I am not sure I've lived for myself since my kids were born. Never really thought about it.

long35acre said...

So I went to your link of your dreams from last fall. OMG. I have also never dreamed about Ian. But I did have a dream (right before I found out I was pg after him) where I was pg and was chasing my doctor around town to tell him I needed to go to the hospital. When I finally got there I delivered two kittens that died. Strange.

Nicole said...

After my own losses, I treated myself terribly. I ate all the wrong things and seemed almost committed to destroying myself. My therapist has been critical in removing me from that trend. And I am so glad you have found someone you can talk to.