Well, Mummy's paranoia did get the better of her yesterday evening and we made the trip to the hospital to get 30 minutes of foetal heart rate monitoring.
I had become locked in an anxiety loop, despite the fact that I had spoken to my doctor at 6pm and gotten some reassurances. We left for the hospital at 10:30pm, unfortunately the same time we left for the hospital when V. had stopped moving. I was so tense in the car on the way there, I could hardly speak, but at least Beanie was moving so I knew he wasn't dead. I was just so scared that he was in some kind of trouble.
The monitoring gave a perfectly normal trace and he even got hiccoughs again during it. The midwife was very nice and told me to come any time, even at 3am, if I was ever concerned again.
Artblog and Coggy, some research has shown that prolonged periods of hiccoughing can be indicative of cord compression (not necessarily nuchal cord though). The research is here (search for hiccups). However, hiccoughing is also a perfectly healthy reaction to the baby drinking amniotic fluid on a full stomach and can be a good sign of vitality. My own doctor and the midwife told me last night not to worry about the hiccoughs and that several episodes per day were normal at this stage. Beanie is moving around regularly and in fact during the monitoring last night was kicking up a storm, both before, during and after the hiccoughs.
But I was worried anyway and that anxiety had been building over several days. In the end only the trip to the hospital could get me out of it. I couldn't wait for my scheduled appointment with my OB on Monday afternoon, nor until this morning, when my OB had told me that she was going to be in the hospital anyway and that I could come then.
6 years ago




13 comments:
I'm glad that everything looks okay. I'm also glad your midwife is understanding of your perfectly natural anxiety.
I'm glad everything is okay. I don't know what's with these babies, they just want to give us grey hairs. Chloe was my biggest hiccup-er, and she was always fine.
Oh Rosepetal,
I am so glad that you could go in to have some monitoring. I'm not pregnant yet, but I know that I will be feeling the same anxieties that you are. I just want to say that it's so great that your care providers are not fighting you about your want and NEED to go in at any time.
I'm glad all is ok.
((sigh of relief!))
I'm glad you got the reassurance you need, I say go as often as you need to it sounds like they more than understand your anxiety. Thanks for the link.
Glad to hear all is okay. Thank goodness your doctors and hospital are so wonderful. The last thing you need is stressing over feeling silly. You did the right thing.
I'm glad you got checked, and that everything is good. that midwife sounds like a treasure!
This post is what I could have written 10 weeks before BB's due date (in fact, I think I did...). So horrible. Those trips in for monitoring are too tense.
I hope little Beanie gets a few less hiccups. Not fun.
Hugs.
Hi Delphi, what I didn't write is that a few days ago I was lying there feeling Beanie hiccough at 5am and got up to specifically look through your archives to find the post which you did write on this and which I remembered.
I asked my OB on Friday and she said the same, its perfectly normal and the scan obviously showed no sign of the cord around the neck, proof.
I guess its so normal for us to worry about every little thing, I doubt I'm going to stop worrying until he's born!
Take care my love, I'll check in from time to time. X
whew. its a wonder you havent been to the hospital every week. you do what you need to do and take the help that is being offered. 10 weeks, 5 days. wow. so close but yet so far. hang in there. oh and my son hiccuped like crazy. couple times a day at least. he was perfect.
So happy to hear every thing checked out ok. And I know better said then done but try and relax just a little. I want so badly for you to enjoy this as much a possiable.
(edited comment)
Hi. I just found your blog and wanted you to know that I am moved by your writing and your honesty. It is comforting to read emotions that I recognize.
I am rooting for you and the bean...and your DH too.
Rella
tx 10/21/04 T21
lc 11/09/05
tx 12/01/07 T21
Post a Comment