I have asked my OB in the past if there was any evidence that a lot of ultrasounds could be harmful to an unborn baby. I think I asked her when I was pregnant with A.
The answer was no, there is a lot of data since ultrasounds have been used in many countries for many years, although there is some evidence that babies who have lots of ultrasounds have a slightly higher tendency to be left-handed.
I think Beanie is going to be left-handed. 80% of the time, he stuffs his left hand into his mouth for self-soothing.
Hopefully the physical effects of Mummy's fear are limited to only that.
6 years ago




6 comments:
If it makes you feel any better, my only lefty is Alexander and i had *zero* ultrasounds with him. The rest, i had what, a million? Just like you ;)
Us left handers are such nice and clever people! :)
Hugs
xxx
I had a load of ultrasounds with my high-risk pregnancy and asked my OB the same thing (after a (I will call her) hippie friend of mine said she refused ultrasounds with all three of her HEALTHY pregnancies because she worried about the risks). I think my son will be a righty now, though, even though there is a group of lefties in his father's family. I think it's wise to ask about anything you might feel a potential harm to your (general your, not Your) pregnancy, but my own advice (other than hippie friend) and professional assurances led me to believe the ultrasound was the least risky procedure.
That research holds absolutely true for me. Kids 1 & 3 had very frequent US and are both lefties. I think I had 3 with Kid 2 and she's a righty.
We also have quite a few lefties in the family although no siblings like mine. Interesting!
I always wished I were left handed. Now I can blame my mother for not having enough ultrasounds while she was pregnant with me. ; )
Though I had a zillion ultrasounds when I was pregnant with my son and, from the time he was tiny, it was absolutely clear he was a righty.
You know, I thought Monkey was going to be left-handed. I was sure of it. And then she turned out to be a righty. Apparently you can't really tell early on-- they can change their preferences just like that.
Post a Comment