Wednesday, 23 July 2008

Stupid Cow

The other day I went to the local village post office with Beanie in his pram. He was awake and flirted with everyone in the post office, gracing them with smiles. An elderly man was behind me in the queue and cooed at Beanie.

"Is he smiling at you?" I asked the elderly man.

"Oh yes. How old is he, about 4 months?"

"Yes, he's almost 4 months," I said.

"But he has so much hair! I have a grandson who is 5 months and he has hardly any hair!" he said.

"He was born with a lot of hair," I said.


I was just having a polite conversation with an elderly man because I was brought up to respect the elderly.


Then the (not elderly) post office lady butted in:

"Did you have a lot of acidity?"

???? "Ummm, you mean during the pregnancy?"

"Yes, because they say when they're born with a lot of hair, the mother gets a lot of acidity."

"No, I didn't really have a lot," I said.

"Oh, well you're VERY lucky!"

"......."

"I mean you're VERY lucky that you didn't have a lot of acid reflux because he was born with so much hair! Really lucky!" she repeated.

What I wanted to say: "No, I'm very lucky because he was born alive and healthy and he still is. And pray tell me the scientific explanation for why hair on an unborn child would cause you to have more acidity? I'm dying to know."

What I actually said: "Have a good day."

I restrained myself quite well, don't you think?

4 comments:

Clarabella said...

Um, we have that saying in the US too that excessive heartburn during pregnancy results in a baby with a lot of hair, but it's just an old wives' tale. Regardless, what odd comments from the post-lady, as if it were scientific fact.

kate said...

Really? lots of hair = heartburn, eh? I have never heard that.

It does irritate me to be told how lucky i am that x or y or z is the case. Especially when i *know* how lucky i am, and it has little to do with the x, y, or z. You restrained yourself well!

Clarabella said...

P.S. If the tale were true, my kid would've been born a werewolf, 'cause I couldn't swallow my own spit during my pregnancy without getting heartburn! (Sorry, TMI.)

Julia said...

You are way too nice. My rule is not to restrain myself with idiots. Maybe they will think for a second before unloading on somebody else next time. But I do admire your Herculean restrain.