Friday, 31 July 2009

3

I was so drained on V's birthday that I didn't get online at all. I was especially drained as I went to the funeral of a colleague's wife in the afternoon. She was 39 and died of cancer. I didn't know her at all but I was pretty shocked to hear the news. She leaves behind her 7 year old son and her husband. The funeral was unbelievably heart-wrenching.

In fact her husband was the coworker in underground carpark who said this. And do you know what? When I went to say goodbye to him before leaving, he said, "you know I have always remembered that I totally put my foot in it after your baby died, and I've always regretted it, that I never said anything afterwards." He said this to me, completely out of the blue, on the day of his wife's funeral.

I don't know him very well and I learned through losing V that it's important to be present and to express your condolences. But I was amazed that he remembered this episode and spoke about it on the day of his wife's funeral.

Since he brought it up, I told him that he shouldn't worry about it and that incidentally V would have been three on that day. I told him if there was anything I could ever do for him and his son, even if it was just bringing a meal over one evening (I don't live far from him), he should not hesitate.

I came home, got changed, saw Beanie, then went out again to buy a white rose and left it at V's lake. My SIL and brother sent flowers, my mum sent a card and my FIL and MIL sent an email.

I also remembered Ferdinand, who would have been 2 the same day.

Thanks to you for remembering too.

5 comments:

Wabi said...

So sorry to hear about the compounding sad anniversaries. Thinking of you.

That poor widower. It was nice of him to mention his regret of the previous blunder, and even kinder of you to let it slide.

Anonymous said...

Big (((hugs)))

Sara said...

I'm sorry, Rosepetal. I need to be more present. I've been wrapped up in the mundane and neglected to visit on V's birthday. Much love to you.

delphi said...

I have not been commenting recently, though I saw this post the day you wrote it. I, too, have been wrapped up in minutia.

There are few days that pass without my thoughts straying to you, your boys, and how you are doing. All my warmest thoughts to you, my friend.

CLC said...

Sorry I am late to this. But thinking of your V belatedly on his birthday.