Friday, 4 April 2008

Update

I'm sorry not to have updated in a while - but I have the best of reasons!

Beanie was born on 29th March 2008 at 3:10pm. I had an induced vaginal birth which started with an oxytocin drip at around 9am, my waters were ruptured around 12:30pm and after only 4 or 5 pushes Beanie came out screaming - the most beautiful sound which brought us all to tears.

He had Apgars of 10, 10 and 10 which I was not expecting at all. His birth weight was 2.55kgs and for the last three days he has been putting back on the initial weight lost. We came out of hospital yesterday and we're just waiting for another bilirubin test result to check for jaundice - if he's gone over the limit set for him we'll have to go back to hospital for a session under the lamp.

Breast feeding is going very well at the moment and the sleep deprivation has made me realise fully why they say that the mother should sleep when the baby is sleeping... but the fact that there is any sleep deprivation at all is a happy realisation for me.

To me Beanie looks almost exactly like V except that V was bigger as he was full term. He has the same face and the same head of black hair. Beanie seems to have my body (long limbs, fingers and toes) and my husband's face - confirmed by almost everyone who has seen him to date.

Emotionally I am doing okay at present, better than I thought I would be doing. Let's see how long that lasts. I have had a few crying spells where I was feeling Beanie's knees and elbows and remembering how those parts made large bumps in my belly, and remembering the same thing for V. Except for V I didn't get to touch those warm bumps and feel them move outside.

Happiness and sadness are not mutually exclusive, but different lines and happiness for one event doesn't cancel out the sadness for another but it really does feel good nevertheless!

47 comments:

CLC said...

That's such wonderful news. I am so happy that Beanie made it here safe and alive. You and your family must be thrilled. I am sure it's bittersweet when you think of V. I imagine it would be like that for anyone who has gone through this. Again, I am so happy for you.

Clare said...

Oh God Rosepetal, I have been holding my breath for you this last week wondering and hoping you and Beanie were safe and ok. What joy to read he is here and you are both doing so well. I really am so very happy for you.
Much love to you all.
xClare

Megan said...

Many congratulations to your family!
My second son had such beautiful similarities to his older (deceased) brother - I was so thankful for that, and still very sad about it.

Take it easy and let everyone wait on you right now...you have enough responsibilities as you enter this different, hopefully better phase of motherhood.

Julia said...

I have been checking obsessively, and I am so so so glad to see the wonderful news.
Congratulations! Yay for Beanie and his lovely parents.

Yes, I don't expect for a second that the wonderful event would cancel out the sad ones. It's just a separate and great thing that Beanie made it safely, and that you now get to do all these things you have been missing for so long.

Good luck with the test.

Omrithekat said...

Lurker here. Happy belated birthday to Beanie, and congratulations to you!

kate said...

CONGRATULATIONS! I am so happy for you!!

Yes, the happy doesn't cancel the sad -- they coexist and the sad is still hard (sometimes harder). Yet, one is so much more balanced when there is joy to counter the pain. I am so happy for you!

Coggy said...

I have been obsessively checking on here too. I'm so pleased for you Rosepetal. Congratulations!

dena said...

Rosepetal.......CONGRATULATIONS!! I bet his first cry was the most beautiful sound:) Rest and let everyone take care of you now.I am so happy for you:)

Anonymous said...

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY!

I'm overwhelmed with joy for you, so deserved and handled so well, enjoy my dear, despite the sleep deprivation!

XXX

JMB said...

Wahoo!!! I was so hoping that your absence was due to Beanie's arrival! Congrats!

Cheek said...

Oh, I am so, so happy for you and your family! Congratulations and welcome to the world, sweet baby Beanie!

SWH said...

Rosepetal,

I am so happy for you!!!!!

Laura said...

Yes, yes!! Oh congratulations Rosepetal!!

Welcome to the world, Beanie :)

wannabe mom said...

i am so glad that Beanie is here safely! congratulations and big big hugs to all of you!!

delphi said...

I have no words, just tears of happiness. So glad!

Sherry said...

Oh, thank goodness for this wonderful news.

Congrats to you and Beanie. =)

Heather said...

Congratulations! I am so happy to read that your little one is here safely.
Enjoy every moment! (but don't forget to be gentle on yourself).

Catherine said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Oh so so so happy for you!!!

Samantha said...

Wohoo!!
I was hoping your absence was gonna bring "great news". I am so happy for you guys. And all 10s at that!!!What a beautiful blessing.

Dina said...

Delurking to say congrats!

Julie said...

Rosepetal, I am so so happy for you. Words can't even start to express.....

Congratulations and welcome to the world Beanie!!

Jillian said...

Oh my! Congratulations! This news gave me goosebumps. I am so happy that Beanie is safe and well and that you get to be his mum the way you wanted to be with V and A.

Angela said...

Oh, thank goodness! I was so worried. Congratulations, Rosepetal! How wonderful. And happy birthday, Beanie!

Beruriah said...

Oh congratulations! I am so happy and have been waiting so anxiously for this news. Thank goodness. I'm so glad breastfeeding is going well! I hope the bilirubins go down successfully and quickly enough.

Much much love to you all.

rella12 said...

Double yay... happy endings/beginnings give me hope.

Kim Tracy Prince said...

Congratulations! I pray for peace and rest for you.

AJW5403 said...

What wonderful news to read first thingn in the morning. I am beyond thrilled for you and your family. Enjoy every minuet with you new little guy. I bet he is just beautiful!

Anam Cara said...

Wow, wow, wow!!!!!!! I am thrilled for you! Congratulations on the safe arrival of little Beanie!!!! Fantastic news. Wishing you a speedy recovery and hoping that all remains well. Big (((hugs))) to you!

Kim said...

Congratulations! Welcome, little Beanie!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. I am so very happy for you all.

niobe said...

I'm trying to think of the right words for this, but I just can't. To say that I'm happy for you is true, but, so incredibly inadequate. Best wishes to your whole family.

Trevor Coultart said...

Huge amount of happiness to you!

Emma's Mum said...

Oh, I am so very very happy for you. Enjoy these wonderful new moments....I understand the sadness as well, but V and A are certainly watching over Beanie and will always be a part of his life.
I am crying big happy tears for you.....much love to you.

Ruby said...

Though it doesn't begin to describe how happy I am for you and your family...CONGRATULATIONS!!!

The Andersons said...

i am so very happy for you.
delurking to say congrats!
i have followed your blog for a long time, i am over joyed for you and yours!

m said...

Oh wow - congratulations RP!!! I am so so so happy for you, I'm all shivery and teary!

Are we allowed to know his name and see a picture? Please, give him a little kiss and welcome for me....

xxx

Unknown said...

This is such beautiful news!
I knew that when I came to check on your blog today that perhaps you would have given birth. Oh Rosepetal, congratulations! When do we get to see pictures of your beauty?

Mrs. Collins said...

I'm so happy for you! Bittersweet it is. But the sweet will become sweeter in time. The bitter will never go away, but the sweetness will increase.

Brenda - you can now find me at : www.lifecanbeashit.wordpress.com said...

WHERE ARE THE PHOTOS?????????

Great news! Im so very happy for you. Great that all is going so well. Now, where are those photos???? lol

Hugs
xxx

msfitzita said...

Oh Rosepetal!!! I'm SO happy for you!!! I can't tell you how sweet this news was to me. Welcome to the world little Beanie, and congratulations and tons of love to Mommy and Daddy!

((((HUGS))))

Kendra's mom said...

WoW!! What wonderful news. I was hoping that was the reason for no posts. I am really really happy for you. Congratulations to all of you!

dave cormier said...

i am so happy for you, Rosepetal.

Aurelia said...

Congratulations! I'm so glad for you Rosepetal. This is just the beginning of a wonderful journey.

c. said...

OMGosh. I can't believe I missed this! Congratulations, Rosepetal!!!

Ange said...

Absolutely wonderful news Rosepetal. I am so very very happy for you and welcome to the world darling Beanie. What a lovely happy ending after such a hard journey. xx

Baby Please said...

Congratulations!!! You deserve nothing but happiness

L said...

Congrats to you. I've been following your blog for some time. I'm sorry I am a little late to this party but I wanted you to know I am so happy for you.