Friday, 12 December 2008

A pox be upon ye......

Beanie has chicken pox, confirmed today at the paediatrician. Nothing to do but wait it out. The bad thing is I haven't had chicken pox - I know for sure as I had a blood test when I was pregnant - and have been trying to line up the vaccine for months. My OB told me it was okay to have whilst breastfeeding but my family doctor wasn't having any of it and refused to give it to me whilst I was.

I stopped breastfeeding two weeks ago and it's on my to do list to line up the vaccine before the end of the year.... and well now it's too late and I am about to get adult chicken pox. I'm just now starting to feel a bit itchy. Sigh. The good news, for once, is that I am not pregnant. I know as I haven't had sex for some time. Too knackered or too annoyed. My periods have been back for two months and they were indeed roughly a month apart.

Thanks for all your comments on the post below about A. Yes, my psychiatrist did indeed say that I could only take the decision as the person I was in that moment. She was trying to pre-empt regret. I am struggling with the fact that I might need to face that decision again in the future and that DH and I would not be on the same side of the line.

DH and I have been getting on much better since our absence when we were in the UK and he was in Africa. I think he missed us.....

5 comments:

Catherine said...

awww man! I'm sorry. I hope it is mild. {hugs}

kate said...

Oh that is BAD. for you. Beanie will do fine...Alexander got chicken pox for Christmas when he was 3. (seriously, he broke out in spots Xmas day.) His daddy came down with it exactly 10 days later as expected. A. was fine but dh was *so* bad that when he finally gave up & went to the health clinic they called all available medical students to stare at him...oh, and it was during a blizzard, too.

I just asked him for the benefit of experience -- he suggests 'i think there's some interferon shot, hey it can't hurt,i was completely miserable for a week, so anything you can do to avoid that'. But his brother also got adult chicken pox, and he wasn't too bad....so you never know how it will go. Maybe you will do fine! I certainly hope so, you will be in my thoughts.

Oh, and oatmeal baths.

Cate said...

be careful! I had the pox at age 23 and almost had to be hospitalized. See if they can give you an antiviral like the kind they do to stop herpes. That probably saved my life.

janis said...

urgh! I am sorry about this, I hope you ride it through without major issues.
I am glad things are better betw you and your dh... give it time. ((hugs))

Shinny said...

I got the Pox when I was in college and it was awful. Make sure you have plenty of fluids and plenty of help with the baby. Mine really came on with a headache that felt like my head was going to pop off. That lasted a couple days and then the spots showed up and I felt fine. I hope you don't get it, you might be immune. Good luck.